Take a Stroll Through the Salt Lake Art Scene this Holiday Season

Kiffer Creveling
Rio Grande Depot near the outdoor Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City at night on Monday, Nov. 30, 2015

Every third Friday of the month, galleries around Salt Lake City present art made by emerging artists for the public to view. This month, the Salt Lake Gallery Stroll features a holiday theme stroll on the first Friday of the month, Dec. 4. The stroll officially begins at 6 p.m. and goes until 9 p.m.

Every third Friday of the month, 43 galleries participate in the Gallery Stroll. December is the only exception, since it’s on the first Friday, and each presents its own unique collection of art pieces. Kristina Robb, director of the Gallery Stroll, said about 80 percent of the artwork on the strolls are made by local artists. However, galleries are not limited to featuring specifically local artists.

art stroll 2

“[The Gallery Stroll] elevates visual arts and gives exposure to not only the artists but also the galleries and non-profits,” Robb said.

Started in 1983, the Salt Lake Gallery Stroll focuses on the visual arts in Salt Lake City. The event is free and gives the public the chance to see visual arts, mingle with fellow art fans and even meet the artists.

“Visual arts are everywhere,” Robb said. “And they can be taken for granted.”

With this in mind, the Salt Lake Gallery Stroll strives to showcase galleries in an affordable, accessible way. Visual arts consist of paintings, installations, drawings, photography, sculptures and even films.

Robb said the Holiday Stroll this Friday is geared toward gift-giving. Galleries may present less expensive artwork for purchase.

Cafe Nastalgia located on 100 South and 248 East taken on Tuesday,September 22, 2015.

One gallery in the stroll is Alpine Art. Susan Bohmholdt, the curator at Alpine Art, said they like to “honor both emerging and established artists.” Alpine Art is located on 430 East South Temple and specializes in art consultation and custom framing.

Most of the artwork seen at Alpine Art is small and square. However, others are accepted as well. Bohmholdt said the beauty of the show is being able to honor all artists. She urges college students to attend the events, meet artists and even purchase the “well-priced, incredibly inspiring work.”

art stroll 5

Bohmholdt hopes that by purchasing artwork, it gives “[you] the momentum to mark your way in the college world.”

“It’s fun and a great way to spend a Friday evening with friends,” she said.

Robb also said the main idea is to make the gallery stroll fun.

“Generally the galleries are packed,” Robb said. “It’s like a party.”

A special event occurring this Friday in coordination with the Holiday Stroll is the Salt Lake City Arts Council Holiday Craft Market. Taking place at the Finch Lane Gallery on 1340 East 100 South, this Holiday Market will uphold a cherished 32-year holiday tradition. Handmade artwork, including letterpress cards, holiday ornaments, scarves, hats, cups, bowls, jewelry and art glass, made by local artists will be featured at this market.

Stroll through Salt Lake galleries this Friday to see artwork of all mediums during the Salt Lake Gallery Stroll. More information on each gallery can be found on thegallerystroll.org.

@callipete