Runnin’ Utes to Take on UC Davis

University of Utah junior guard Alfonso Plummer (25) dribbles past Mississippi Valley State University defenders in an NCAA Men’s Basketball game vs. Mississippi Valley State University at Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, UT on Friday November 08, 2019.(Photo by Curtis Lin | Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Brayden Ramsay, Sports Writer

The University of Utah men’s basketball team (4-2, 0-0 Pac-12) will take on the UC Davis Aggies (2-6, 0-0 Big West) on Friday, Nov. 29. The two squads will face off at the Jon M. Huntsman Center at 7 p.m.

Utah’s Previous Matchup

The Utes are coming off of a 1-2 showing against Coastal Carolina University, Ohio University and Tulane University at the Myrtle Beach Invitational. Utah’s solo win came against the Ohio Bobcats, winning 80-66. Their two losses came against Coastal Carolina and Tulane with scores of 57-79 and 61-65, respectively.

Utah’s Projected Starters

Timmy Allen had 48 total points in the Myrtle Beach Invitational, chalking up 15 in game one, 19 in game two and 14 in game three. He was 15-17 from the free throw line and averaged 8.3 rebounds for the three games during the invitational.

Rylan Jones had his season high 17 points against Ohio in game two of the Myrtle Beach Invitational. He also scorched the nets for 11 points and 3 points in the other two games in the tournament. Jones had 13 total assists and 7 total rebounds during the three-game weekend.

Both Gach had a tough weekend at the Myrtle Beach Invitational scoring in single digits in two of three games. Look for a bounce back game against the Aggies on Friday night. Gach has been one of the most reliable players for the Utes this season, and chances are good that he will get back to his groove soon.

Riley Battin had a decent effort on the offensive end, scoring 19 points during the Utes weekend in South Carolina. Battin also totaled 14 rebounds and 3 assists in the Myrtle Beach Invitational. Look for a solid game for Battin on Friday.

Branden Carlson played well in the post in the Myrtle Beach Invitational, scoring 24 points and snagging 10 rebounds alongside 5 assists.

UC Davis Players to Watch Out For

Matt Neufeld is a 6-foot-11-inch center from Victoria, British Columbia. This season, the senior is averaging just under 14 points per game alongside 4.3 rebounds per game.

Joe Mooney is a 6-foot-3-inch guard from Wauconda, Illinois. The senior attended Notre Dame College Prep before making a move to UC Davis. This year, Mooney is averaging 13.3 points per game with 14 total assists on the year.

History

The Runnin’ Utes faced off against the Aggies in the first round of the NIT Tournament during the 2017-2018 season. Utah won the matchup 69-59 at the Huntsman Center and would eventually move on and lose in the NIT Final to Penn State. The two teams have squared off twice in history — the only other time was in 2007, with the Utes winning 86-52. Each game between the two squads has taken place in Salt Lake City.

What’s Next for Both Teams

Utah will be at home against rival BYU on Wednesday, Dec. 4 2019. The Utes and Cougars will renew the Deseret First Duel Rivalry at 6 p.m. In their previous matchup, Brigham Young escaped victorious over the Utes 74-59.

UC Davis will continue their road trip to Flagstaff, Arizona where they will take on the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks. UC Davis is 3-1 against the Lumberjacks, with their last victory coming in 2018. Their previous matchup ended in a 73-57 victory for the Aggies.

Where to Watch the Game

The game Friday will be played at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City. You can also watch the game on Pac-12 Networks and listen to the game on ESPN 700.

@brayden_ramsay