Runnin’ Utes Lose Fourth in a Row on Emotional Senior Day

Jack Gambassi

University of Utah center Branden Carlson (#35, Sr.) in the game vs. the California Golden Bears on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2023 at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on campus in Salt Lake City. (Photo by Jack Gambassi | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Ethan Pearce, Sports Editor

The University of Utah men’s basketball team dropped a game to the USC Trojans on Saturday night. Utah has now lost four in a row and sits at 10-9 in conference play with just one game to go.

Utah kept this one close throughout. Again, the three-point defense wasn’t amazing and the Trojans got a little too comfortable offensively for stretches, but the Utes had enough timely buckets to make sure the game was within reach. 

However, within reach doesn’t always mean they won the game in the end, as the Utes ultimately could not muster enough to get over the hump and take the lead. They had the deficit as low as two in the second half. Similar to the last game against UCLA, it stayed close late but Utah was never able to get in front and dropped their fourth game in a row, 62-49. 49 ties two other games for the lowest point total of the season.

“We’ve gotta be more sound,” said head coach Craig Smith. “We cut that thing down and gave ourselves an opportunity, but we couldn’t get over the hump. That’s the story of the weekend.”

Senior Night

Utah honored five seniors today in the final home game of the season. Branden Carlson, Jaxon Brenchley, Eli Ballstaedt, Bostyn Holt and Marco Anthony all could choose to move on following the season. Of the five, only Anthony is out of eligibility. The others can opt to return due to the free pandemic season in 2020, and Holt still may get a redshirt after playing only three games last season before suffering a torn ACL, giving him two more years after this one.

Carlson could opt to turn pro after a fantastic season, but it would not be shocking to see the Utah native return for a final year. If he does leave, his impact will be irreplaceable. As the longest tenured Ute, Carlson is the heart of the program and a special player.

Brenchley and Ballstaedt are solid depth pieces who have not played a lot this year, but could go elsewhere if they desire more playing time. Holt seems primed for a bigger role as he progresses with the team.

An emotional Smith was effusive in his praise for the senior class and the legacy they imprinted on the program.

“I love our seniors. They’re just amazing people, they give everything they’ve got. All five of them are just the consummate pro,” Smith said. “Talk about a great teammate, a great teammate is when it’s not about you. All five of those guys are like that.”

“There’s still a lot ahead of us,” Anthony said. “I’m just enjoying the moment every time.”

Up Next

Utah plays Colorado on the road next Saturday for the final game of the regular season. The game tips off at 3:30 p.m. MST and will be the precursor for the Pac-12 Tournament. They’re tied with Washington State in the standings. Oregon is up a game and Washington down one; both have two to play. If things ended today, the Utes would be the sixth seed for the tournament. It’s an important conclusion to the regular season as the Utes set themselves up for the postseason.

@e_pearce_