‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ is Ending with a Bang

One of the best parts of Curb is very prevalent in this season: his rotating cast of friends that appear throughout the episodes.
(Photo courtesy of John Johnson/HBO)

Season 12 of  “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” the decade-spanning sitcom from the genius behind “Seinfeld,” is currently airing on Max, and Larry David claims that this will be the last season, for real this time. He has “ended” the show multiple times, always coming back to it later in his career, but with his age, the recent death of one of his closest friends Richard Lewis and the ever-changing landscape of television, this time really feels like a farewell.

The End

What particularly makes it feel like the end? Well, Larry is retreading a lot of old ground, while still staying as sharp as ever on some of the cultural satire. The beat that he keeps using this season that sticks out like a sore thumb is his upcoming trial which could put him in jail — something he notoriously did to end Seinfeld, and something many side characters have mentioned throughout this season. It feels like a last hooray, an attempt to subvert expectations at the last minute, making us think he is incapable of ending a show in any other way. Regardless of if he ends it that way or finds some other pivot point, it will be an ending to remember.

The Characters

One of the best parts of Curb is very prevalent in this season, and that is his rotating cast of friends that appear throughout the episodes. Jeff, Leon and relative newcomer Freddy, who all shine so heavily in their supporting roles while elevating Larry and taking the spotlight from him when it feels right. The heavy improv is also very apparent this season, something that makes it feel so fresh and hilarious. Some of the storylines they have going are so tight and specific, but they give them so much room to breathe through brilliant after brilliant on-the-spot bits that never overstay their welcome. Everyone on the show loves it, and it is so obvious from their constant breaking that they most of the time incorporate into their characters, to Larry’s laugh that sounds throughout every moment of every episode.

The Season as a Whole

Now, how does this season compare to the others? It may be one of the best of the recent seasons. Although, even counting the older, pre-HD ones, this one has some bits that shine through, and are partially highlighted by Larry’s age and insane cultural footprint. The satire is so biting in this season, from Larry being furious over being added to a text chain that he does not want to be in to him becoming a political pariah over handing someone water in a voting line in Atlanta. He has somehow managed to stay relevant, and the celebrity cameos are always a blast to see, including Sienna Miller becoming Larry’s primary love interest for a few episodes, but none will beat Bill Hader’s trio of characters he portrayed in season 11. This season, so far at least, is the highlight of his HD years, and will hopefully not be spoiled by an unfit ending.

@EthanBlume07