Overton: Find The Spark

Through the ups and downs, I am extremely proud of not only what I accomplished, but what the wonderful people on my desk and at the Chronicle accomplished as well.
Sarah Karr
Sean Overton poses for a photo in front of Rice-Eccles Stadium (photo by Sarah Karr | Daily Utah Chronicle

Some may remember the wildfire that started behind the University of Utah in September 2020. Being a college freshman, of course I hiked the mountain with some friends to get a closer look. Little did I know that one of my friends, Jack O’Leary, was a news writer for the Daily Utah Chronicle. He asked me to do a quick interview for his article, where I asked more about the Chronicle and soon applied to join the sports desk.

Before I knew it, I was writing opinion articles and started covering lacrosse. Throughout the next two years I covered women’s soccer, baseball and everything I could get my hands on. During my junior year I became the Assistant Sports Editor, covering larger sports such as gymnastics and football.

Entering my last year of college, I was filled with uncertainty. I didn’t know where I would soon be going, what I would be doing or how I would do it. One thing I knew is that I wanted to continue with the Chronicle. This year as the Sports Editor, I continued to cover football along with my fantastic assistant editor, Abbey Thomas, and gymnastics.

One thing I have learned in my time with the Chronicle is that sports are much more than just that. As I looked through my past articles to write this one, I was flooded with emotion. I have seen, and covered, countless wins and losses. I saw records get broken, the tragic passing of Aaron Lowe, controversy with gymnastics coaching, a freezing morning at College Gameday, the emergence of NIL and conference realignment. Sports tell us stories, and I feel blessed to share some of those stories.

Everyone is told that college is a time to branch out and do new things, and I truly believe that college is when we find ourselves. I never thought that I would find myself becoming the sports editor, joining the Kappa Sigma fraternity, pursuing an honors degree and preparing to attend law school at Penn State. One of my largest takeaways from my time at Utah is to never back down from an opportunity. I have failed, many many times, but I’ll always remember my successes.

Through the ups and downs, I am extremely proud of not only what I accomplished, but what the wonderful people on my desk and at the Chronicle accomplished as well. To my family, friends and everyone involved in my life, thank you for believing in me. I wouldn’t be the same person without all of you. Little did I know that a quick hike to see a fire would spark such a lasting experience. From an unsure freshman to a soon-to-be law student, the Chronicle has been there the entire way. I hope you have enjoyed reading my work as much as I have enjoyed doing it.

@seanoverton3