Events

Feb. 23

In recognition of Japanese American internment-camp residents, there will be a Day of Remembrance display in the J. Willard Marriott Library third floor atrium.

?American Foreign Policy Toward Iraq: An Eyewitness Account,? an address by Ewa Wasilewska from the anthropology department, will be held at 11:45 a.m. in Orson Spencer Hall, Room 255.

As part of the U?s Black Awareness Month activities, John Carlos, former sprinter known for protesting the 1968 Olympic Games, will speak on ?The Benefits of Valuing Education? at noon in the A. Ray Olpin University Union Theatre.

The Heterodox Economics Student Association will host a lecture on ?European Economic and Monetary Integration: Conceptual and Policy Issues? by Robert F. Owen from the University of Nantes in France at 1:30 p.m. in the Business Classroom Building, Room 306.

There will be a Japanese speech contest from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Languages and Communication Building, Room 1110.

Ron Hobbs from Bastyr Naturopathic College will give a presentation for students interested in naturopathic medicine from 5 to 7 p.m. in the South Biology Building, Room 212.

The St. Catherine of Sienna Catholic Newman Center is hosting its annual ?Road Rules Race,? a city-wide scavenger hunt, at 7 p.m. at the Newman Center. Call Andrew at 364-0651 for more information.

Shades, the U?s student literary magazine, will hold an open mic reading and reception from 8 to 10 p.m. in the union Panorama Room.

Feb. 24

?Listening to the Earth,? a collaboration between the departments of modern dance and ballet and area elementary school students will be performed at 3 p.m. in Joseph T. Kingsbury Hall.

Feb. 25

Film Front will show ?Madadayo? by Akira Kurosawa at 7 p.m. in the OSH auditorium.

Feb. 26

The Daily Utah Chronicle will host ASUU presidential/vice presidential debates at 1 p.m. in the union Ballroom.

Hector Abruna from Cornell University will speak on ?Redox and Photoactive Dendrimers in Solution and on Surfaces? at 4 p.m. in the Henry Eyring Building, Room 2006.

Feb. 27

Christopher Cummins from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will speak on ?Molybdenum and Uranium Functional Groups, A Transition Metal/Actinide Analogy? at 10:45 a.m. in the Eyring Building, Room 2006.

The Latter-day Saints Student Association will host ASUU debates at noon in the Latter-day Saints Institute of Religion main building.

Michael Lamb from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development will present a lecture titled ?Eliciting Information from Child Sex Abuse Victims? at noon in the Marriott Library auditorium.

Wilma Tyner, adviser for the Center for Ethnic Student Affairs, will speak on ?Promoting Native American Cultural Awareness in the Community? at noon in union 293.

The English Student Advisory Committee will hold a career seminar for English majors at 3:30 p.m. in 3850 LNCO.

M. Charles Liberman from Harvard Medical School will lecture on ?Noise-induced Hearing Loss: Protective Role of Cochlear Efferent Neurons and Alpha-9 Cholinergic Receptors,? at 4 p.m. in the Eccles Institute of Human Genetics auditorium.

Barry Keverne from Kings College in Cambridge, will speak on ?Genomic Imprinting: Brain Evolution and Maternalism,? at 4 p.m. in the Aline Wilmot Skaggs Biology Building, Room 210.

The Resident Halls Association will host ASUU debates at 8 p.m. in the Chase N. Peterson Heritage Center, Room A.

Feb. 28

Primary elections for next year?s ASUU student government will be held today and tomorrow. Vote on the ASUU Web site at www.asuu.utah.edu.Sancy Leachman from the Huntsman Cancer Institute will speak about ?The Familial Melanoma Research Clinic? at 4 p.m. in the Huntsman Cancer Institute auditorium.

March 1

The department of geology and geophysics will host a lecture by Rick Saltus on ?Building a Magnetic View of Alaska? at 4 p.m. in the Intermountain Network Scientific Computation Center, Room 110.

March 2

?American Policy Toward the Middle East: A Reassessment,? an address by Shibley Telhami from the University of Maryland, will be held at 11:50 a.m. in 255 OSH.