Kappa Sigma in Alcohol Trouble

By Adam Benson

In the wake of a weekend fraternity party that resulted in 52 alcohol-related citations, Kappa Sigma is under fire from U officials and the Greek Council.

Though no other fraternities or sororities were involved in last Saturday’s incident, the effect is a lingering one in the eyes of some of the neighbors who live next to the fraternity houses.

“To me, this was a blatant slap in the face of all that we’ve negotiated,” said neighbor Nancy Huntsman. “Clearly, there’s a culture in that house that says, ‘If we can get away with it, let’s do it.'”

Of the 52 citations, 40 were for the consumption of alcohol by minors and 12 for serving alcohol to minors. Kappa Sigma members received 19 of the citations, according to Sgt. Fred Louis, public information officer for the Salt Lake City Police Department.

Intrafraternity Council President Cory Peterson said that the Greek Council is issuing a formal complaint against Kappa Sigma for violating IFC bylaws. The bylaws state that any party with more than 60 members in attendance must register with the Greek Council, which Kappa Sigma did not do.

As a result, the matter will be reviewed by the Greek Judiciary Council, a body composed of greeks and faculty members. “They’ll hear the case out and decide on it,” Peterson said.

The IFC Recruitment Manual, which every fraternity at the U recognizes, has specific policies relating to alcohol at parties. If members knowingly serve alcohol to a minor, “there is a good chance of receiving a citation and a referral to the Student Behavior Committee.”

Though a substantial number of citations were handed down as a result of the party, no neighbors complained about noise.

“It was handled very quietly,” Peterson said. “Our 24-hour greek phone received no complaints, and that’s usually the first place they’re registered.”

Though the U administration and the Greek Council are handling the situation, Louis said, “This is a gross violation of the agreement between Greek Row and their neighbors.”

Huntsman described the party as “a flagrant violation of everything we agreed upon at our meeting. They were having that party willfully, arrogantly and belligerently.”

Kappa Sigma President Rod Harris could not be reached for comment.

Alcohol-related incidents at the U have been in steady decline in recent years. Vice President for Student Affairs Barbara Snyder described Saturday’s event as “an anomaly from what we’ve seen in the greek system over the last 10 years.”

Though the criminal charges are separate from the student-behavior charges brought against the fraternity, Snyder said the U is moving forward with their management of the situation in three ways.

First, the incident is subject to administrative review. If the review board finds Kappa Sigma in violation of the U’s standards for fraternity behavior, then it may be placed on probation from 60 to 180 days, as the board finds appropriate.

Following this, a meeting with the Greek Judiciary Council will be initiated and the members “will get an opportunity to hear the situation.” Kappa Sigma will present their version of the events of Saturday night at this meeting.

Finally, according to Snyder, the national organization of Kappa Sigma has been contacted to find out what the U’s next step may be.

“We’re trying to move quickly forward on all three fronts,” Snyder said.