U soccer splits weekend set after overtime win over Baylor

By Mathew Ouellette

The U soccer team (4-1) split a two-game set over the weekend in Texas by defeating the Baylor Bears after falling to the Aggies of Texas A&M.

On Friday, the Utes played No. 6 Texas A&M to a stalemate for 75 minutes, but could not hold off the Aggies’ final offensive barrage, as Katherine Krambeer punched in the game’s only goal in the 76th minute.

Ute goalie Ashley Mason made four saves in her first loss as a Ute.

Aggie goalie Kati Jo Spisak recorded her second shutout of the season, making two saves.

U coach Rich Manning had been worried about the Aggies’ team speed prior to the match, and his worries were justified by Aggie coach G. Guerrieri and his squad.

“Speed kills, and tonight it was Kat’s [Krambeer] speed that proved to be the difference in the match.”

The win improved the Aggies’ overall record to 3-0-0. It was their 19th straight home victory.

The Utes fell to 2-1-0 after the loss.

Despite losing the game, the Utes proved once again that they can play with anybody. This quality was recognized by the Texas A&M coaching staff.

“I can clearly see why they are picked to win the MWC,” Guerrieri said.

Last night’s game proved more fortuitous for the Utes, as they topped the Baylor Bears 3-2 in overtime.

Lauren Field scored all three Ute goals, including a rocket from 40 yards out to tie the game with just 14 minutes remaining.

In overtime, Field scored again-this time a header off a Missy Dennis corner kick-with less than two minutes to play.

Amanda Feigt added another assist to her impressive season total (4) on Field’s first goal.

Field, who now has four goals on the year, has played brilliantly since coming back from a heart condition this offseason. In addition to starting every game, she has provided much-needed veteran leadership for this young Ute squad.

Kaycie Zimmerman played her first full game in goal for the Utes and recorded two saves on four shots. The Utes outshot Baylor 12-4 and had 11 corner kicks, while the Bears failed to get a single one.

The team’s next game will be at Ute Field this Thursday when they take on Weber State.

The Utes will look to improve their record to 4-1-0 and maintain their early season momentum.