Utah golf bulks up: Swingers bring in three new signees

This week, U head golf coach Randall McCracken announced the signings of Chase Hite, Christopher Celio-Elia and Nicholas Hopkins to National Letters of Intent.

The three student-athletes will join the Utes, who are on a break from competition until early February, at the beginning of the 2006-2007 season.

Both Hite and Celio-Elia come from Arizona.

Hite currently attends Sabino High School in Tuscon, Ariz., where he won the 2005 4A high school championship.

He is ranked 286 on the Junior Golf Scoreboard rankings.

“He will bring experience and talent, which is a great combination,” McCracken said.

“Chase is a great competitor, and when the chips are down, he has a great ability to get it done on the golf course.

Celio-Elia currently attends Millenium High School in Goodyear, Ariz., and is ranked 169 on the Junior Golf Scoreboard rankings. He was also a 2005 4A high school regional winner.

“Chris is going to make a big impact on our team,” McCracken said.

“He also brings experience and talent. He has performed well as a junior, and I expect this to carry over to his collegiate career.”

Hopkins also brings an impressive rsum to Utah. Currently a student at Riverton High School in Riverton, Wyo., Hopkins won the 2005 Wyoming Junior State Championship, qualified for the U.S. Open as a sectional qualifier and was made a member of the 2005 Junior America Cup team.

“Nick has the skills to be a great collegiate golfer,” McCracken said.

“He’s one of the best ball-strikers, for his age, I have seen in a long time. He is very athletic, has a great work ethic, and I think we’ll see some great things from him in the future.”

The U golf team will resume competition beginning Monday, Feb. 13, at the Thunderbird Invitational in St. George.