Ill Markson can’t help Utes defeat Cougs

Entering the weekend match-up with archrival BYU, the Utes’ leading scorer and seventh-best point producer in the Mountain West Conference, Bryant Markson, averaged 15.3 points per game.

But it seemed he could never find his rhythm Saturday, shooting one for eight from the field and scoring only four points in 33 minutes of play.

The culprits: a persistent BYU defense and, according to Markson, his body.

“I don’t know what it is,” Markson said. “I felt like I was going to throw up the whole game…I don’t usually eat breakfast, and we ate breakfast in the Marriott today. I just felt out of it in the first half. I tried to come back but just couldn’t do it.”

In fact, Markson’s stomach did get the better of him at halftime, when he had to send the infamous breakfast to a watery grave.

Meanwhile, the Cougars were satisfied with the defense they put up against the pre-season All-Mountain West forward.

“The guys did a good job on Markson in the first half,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said.

“Our game plan was to make him take tough shots.”

The Cougars held the Utes to 40 percent from the field and forced 13 turnovers-six more than they gave up.

“The main thing with Markson was to not give him anything easy,” Cougar guard Brock Reichner said.

“He’s a scorer, but we knew we had to make him work for it.”

Markson acknowledged BYU’s defensive efforts as well.

“They played good D and kept me out of the game for the most part,” he said. “I didn’t let the game come to me. I forced a lot, and unfortunately I caused a lot of turnovers and we lost the game.”

Ute head coach Ray Giacoletti said Markson was out of the realm of what he’s efficient at-defense, rebounding and small details.

“When he gets an open look, we run sets for him and read the defense and make good decisions,” Giacoletti said.

Giacoletti also credited the Cougar defense for slowing the senior down.

Despite one game’s subpar performance, Markson’s teammates expressed confidence in his ability to rebound.

“Bryant, he’s our energy guy,” Ute guard Chris Grant said. “Today he wasn’t feeling that great, but he gives it his best effort all the time. He’s still out there. He’s a warrior.”