Sports Briefs

Swimmers compete in NCAA Championships

Juniors Amber Walter and Kelsey Patterson represented the Mountain West Conference champion swimming and diving team at the NCAA Championships in Georgia over the weekend.

Patterson-a six-time MWC Diver of the Week-is the first female diver from Utah to ever qualify for the championship meet. She finished 18th on the 3-meter, 21st on the platform and 30th on the 1-meter event.

Walter’s best finish came in the 100-meter breaststroke, where her time of 1 minute 2.7 seconds was good enough for 22nd. She also finished 36th in the 50 freestyle, and 67th in the 100 free. The Montana native transferred to the U from Maryland last season and was the team’s top performer in her first year competing for the Utes.

Lacrosse has busy weekend

The No. 16 Ute lacrosse team went 3-1 over the break, topping Florida 16-2 in its first-ever match at Juan Diego High School last Monday and nabbing two more wins in Seattle against No. 14 Cal Poly SLO and Washington over the weekend. The Utes’ lone loss came on Saturday in a close 11-10 contest against No. 18 Minnesota-Duluth at Washington.

The Utes will take a two-week break before traveling to Logan on April 1 to face unranked Utah State. They will be looking to pick up momentum against the Aggies before beginning a difficult season-ending stretch that includes four straight games against top-10 teams (No. 7 Colorado, No. 2 Colorado State, No. 1 Sonoma State and No. 9 BYU).

Softball goes up and down over the break

The Utes (15-9) went 3-4 at the seven-day Judy Garman Kia Classic in Fullerton, Ca. over the break. After beating host Cal State Fullerton 1-0 in the opener, they dropped three straight games in which they failed to score more than one run.

The Utes rebounded with a 4-3 victory over Cal State Northridge and an extra-innings 3-2 edging of Michigan, but again failed to find the lumber in a 1-0 loss to Arizona State on the tournament’s final day.

Duffin’ Utes in the meat of season

The Utes are in Goodyear, Ariz., today for the second and final day of the 16-team 2006 Ron Moore Invitational. The team played 36 holes yesterday and will wrap up with 18 today at the Palm Valley Golf Club.

Dustin Pimm led the Utes at the Callaway Golf Invitational in San Diego this weekend with a 16-over 232, tying for 41st overall. The Utes finished 16th with a three-round score of 965 (101 over).

Baseball postponed

There will be a doubleheader at Ute Field today between the U (8-10) and New Mexico State after Monday’s action was cancelled because of inclement weather.

The Utes lost once to Portland over the weekend, 8-1, before nature again intervened and cancelled Sunday’s action.