Take five and go get some culture

By Danny Letz

Fri., Oct. 19 and Sat., Oct. 20Taiwan Film FestivalRose Wagner Performing Arts Center (138 W. Broadway) 10 a.m. Free

The Salt Lake City Film Center presents the Taiwan Film Festival this weekend as a part of a screening that will take place at Salt Lake City’s Rose Wagner Center, Standford University, UC Davis, University of Oregon and University of Washington. Starting Friday morning, the Rose Wagner will screen three films that exhibit the rich cultural history of Taiwanese film: Ang Lee’s “The Wedding Banquet,” “Eat Drink Man Woman” and Hou Hsiao Hsien’s “The Puppet Master.” Saturday will see screenings of Tsai Ming-Liang’s “What Time is It There?” Edward Yang’s “A One and A Two” and Hou Hsiao Hsien’s “Dust in the Wind.”

Fri., Oct. 19 Authors Live @ The City Library: Utah State Poetry Society’s Poet of the YearCity Library Auditorium (210 E. 400 South) 7 p.m.Free

The Utah State Poetry Society was established in 1950 to promote the creation and appreciation of poetry. The organization named its first poet of the year in 1965 and the tradition has acted to give due credit to our state’s finest wordsmiths ever since. This year, the society will honor current president N. Colwell Snell, who also serves as director of the College Manuscript Competition for the National Federation of State Poetry Societies.

Sat., Oct. 20 through Wed., Oct. 31Art Exhibit: SF RecycledThe City Library (210 E. 400 South) 11 a.m.Free

Bring together a diverse group of artists, provide them a stipend, studio space, a pair of good work gloves and 24-hour access to materials from the Solid Waste Transfer and Recycling Center of a city boasting more than 700,000 residents and you’ll have the makings for one hell of a mess — or the SF Recycled Art Show being hosted by the Salt Lake City Library this week. It’s not every day you get a chance to see the fanciest trash piles in San Francisco outside of the dumpster.

Mon., Oct. 22 through Sat., Oct. 2710th Annual Utah Humanities Book FestivalThe City Library (210 E. 400 South)All dayFree

Ten years and running, The Utah Humanities Book Festival is back once again. This year, the City Library will host panels, readings and book signings with authors such as William Kittredge, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Jane Hamilton, Janette Turner Hospital, Annick Smith and Eboo Patel. Numerous activities and vendors will be on hand as well, including letterpress printing, rare book appraisals and a presentation on The Saint John’s Bible Project, the first illuminated and hand-lettered Bible created in more than 500 years.

Tues., Oct. 23 through Tues., Oct. 30″Around the World in a Bad Mood”Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center (138 W. Broadway) 7:30 p.m.$30

Who better to act out the in-flight debacles, security strip teases and bizarre run-ins with pistol-packing pilots that can take place during six weeks of unpaid flight attendant training than a real live flight attendant herself? Learn why not to mess with the help as you journey “Around the World in a Bad Mood” with ex-attendant Rene Foss.

Just don’t call her a stewardess.