Concert to raise funds for art, humanities

By Darcy Posselli

By donating a couple of dollars, U students and community members will be able to listen to music about hobbits, pirates and astronauts while supporting a local high school.

The Skyline Arts and Humanities Council is holding a benefit concert aimed at raising funds for the arts and humanities programs at Skyline High School on Saturday at 7 p.m.

“Save the Arts — Share the Music” benefit concert will feature artists Peter Breinholt, who is known for his self-styled acoustic music, and Sam Payne, who writes contemporary folk songs that focus on such topics as hobbits, pirates and spacemen. Payne relates his songs to the stories told in movies like “The Princess Bride,” according to his official website. He has spent some of his music career in “The Utah Jazz Quintet.”

“We’re really fortunate that they’re both donating their time and talents,” said Susan Kaelin, president of the Arts and Humanities Council.

Kaelin’s daughter, Anna Kaelin, is a junior at the U who has been helping receive donations for the silent art auction that will take place during the concert. Anna Kaelin, who will graduate from the U in May, has also helped with publicity and technical elements such as sound. Kaelin, who is majoring in film, said she has a commitment to the arts.

Other local celebrities will also be contributing their time during the show.

“We have a guy named Joe Payne from the Pioneer Theater Company who is doing our sound for us,” Susan Kaelin said. “Scott Haws from Channel 5 is going to emcee.”

The concert is the third event of its kind organized by the Skyline Arts and Humanities Council. The council has also planned a lecture series beginning Nov. 29, featuring Jared Hess, the co-writer and director of “Napoleon Dynamite” and “Nacho Libre.” Other tentative speakers include a local author and a creative director from DreamWorks.

“Our main purpose is to provide support and resources for all the arts and humanities students and department(s) at Skyline High School,” Susan Kaelin said. “(Arts and humanities) really impact virtually every student in a high school, because all students are required to have 1.5 fine arts credits to graduate from high school. We fundraise to provide things to departments that are outside of the school budget but that are needed for school purposes.”

Funds from events are used for annual scholarships. Every year an average of five $250 to $500 scholarships are awarded.

“We’re trying to build a scholarship fund that is self-perpetuating, so that it won’t deplete itself over the years,” Susan Kaelin said.