Preventing crime before it happens

By Michael McFall

In response to recent break-ins and complaints about a suspicious man in the Residence Halls, campus police are educating students about the importance of knowing the definitions and limits of the law.

U students should know how to protect themselves from crime, as well as how to properly identify it, said Sgt. Kent Curtis of the U Police Department during a security meeting with students at the Heritage Center on Oct. 1.

“(Officers’) hands are severely tied when people don’t take care of business themselves,” Curtis said. “It’s a two-way street. We do the best we can. We take the risks, but we can’t do this alone.”

Regarding the recent series of Residence Halls burglaries, Curtis said it is up to students to protect themselves before police have to step in.

He recounted the case of a female student whose laptop was stolen from her room and wanted officers to go through every room in the building to find it. However, such a procedure is in violation of the U.S. Constitution, and breaking a law like that can ruin an investigation, he said.

“Our hands are like this,” Curtis said, holding his wrists up as if they were handcuffed. “If you don’t follow certain standards and certain laws, your case goes out the window.”

Curtis recommended students to record serial numbers on their laptops and other items. During investigations, officers might run into a similar item, so having the serial number handy can help officers cross-check it.

Curtis also advised students to always lock their doors and avoid letting strangers into the Residence Halls. The ability of a non-resident to commit a crime is increased when innocent bystanders and potential victims give them the access, he said.

“The door where you have to swipe your card to get in, that’s your residence,” Curtis said. “It’s your territory and you have to be careful. I don’t think people are stupid, but they can be too trusting.”

He also said students should give verbal warning to any suspicious individuals they consider bothersome, like the individual Housing and Residential Education issued an alert about last month. Several students, mainly Asian women, complained they were approached by a man who asked personal questions.

If the individual continues to approach that person several times after expressed disinterest, then can it be reported as harassment and stalking, Curtis said. Otherwise, the suspicious individual is innocent.

“He would like to offer services for tutoring,” said Curtis, who had a conversation with the man on Oct. 18. “He explained to me he grew up with Asian friends, so he likes that culture, so he wanted to get to know some people (like that).”

Ben Holt, a law student, sympathized with the predicament in which police officers are placed.

“After going through criminal procedure (in my studies), I have to say it’s a tight line for police to walk,” he said.