Winter enthusiasts watch weather religiously

By Jessica Dunn

Snowbird got 12 inches of fresh snow last weekend. It’s sunny and cold, and there’s a good chance of snow every day through Saturday. The snow will most likely fall Wednesday evening into Thursday morning. The whole week should be good riding.

No, I’m not a weather forecaster. I don’t even know how the chance of snow percentage is calculated. To tell the truth, I only care about the weather for one thing: snow.

Like most skiers and snowboarders, I become a weather fiend in the winter. I constantly check weather.com for the 10-day forecast in hopes of seeing huge storms predicted. The resort weather forecasts and live cameras are also must-sees.

I want to know exactly when it’s going to snow and how much is on the way. I need to know these things. My snowboarding life depends on it.

So far this year, the weather has tested my patience and probably yours as well. First, we got an awesome storm at the end of October and everyone assumed we’d be starting an amazing winter in a couple of weeks. But Mother Nature had other plans.

After a few miserable weeks of mild temperatures and absolutely no precipitation, I started to wonder if I should even have bought a season pass. It was ridiculous weather for November. The temperatures were so high I was wearing shorts and the resorts couldn’t even make fake snow.

Thanksgiving came and went with only one resort open in Utah. But temperatures finally dropped and the snow-making commenced. Resorts slowly opened lift lines and all was well, in a mediocre sort of way.

But the real snow has come and I hope it’s here to stay.

As a winter-weather watcher, global warming is not only apparent and affecting my snow totals, it has become my mortal enemy.

Every year the snow seems to struggle more and more to cover my favorite Utah resorts. Opening dates are pushed back and rocks remain uncovered throughout the season.

Summer-lovers might pass it off as a bad year and people in Provo will say we’re not living right, but I know the real reason: human beings affect the environment. I see us affecting our winters for the worse every year, and I know other snow-lovers have noticed this as well. It’s hard not to when you watch the weather constantly every winter and all you want is snow.

To help fight global warming, many skiers and boarders have joined the green movement and are trying to do what they can to save the precious snow we have left. Whether that involves recycling, taking the bus or changing a light bulb, it all makes a difference.

If you’re a winter enthusiast, it’s in your best interest to go green. Maybe you’ll have to pass on that new SUV, but just know that you’re saving something you love. Perhaps your grandchildren will get to experience the feeling of powder on a perfect bluebird day.

I’m an optimist, so I’ll do what I can — keep my eye on the weather and keep praying for snow.

It’s up to Mother Nature to do the rest.