Free HIV testing offered

By Jonathan Ng

The U Office of Health Promotion will offer students free HIV screenings today.

“Since Valentine’s Day falls into Sexual Responsibility Week, we thought it appropriate to offer our students free HIV screenings to make sure they are healthy and not passing on the virus to others,” said Elizabeth Craig, health educator at the U Health Center, which also offers a variety of other services including STD/STI testing for less than $30.

Last year, about 50 students showed up for testing on Valentine’s Day, Craig said, who is hoping for a bigger turnout this year.

“HIV biggest risk factors are unprotected sex and sharing needles,” she said. “If you or someone you know has participated in any of these behaviors even once, you owe it to yourself and your partners to go and get tested.”

The 20-minute session is fully confidential. Testing is done with an oral swab that is checked for HIV antibodies and provides immediate results.

“While students are waiting, we also offer free HIV counseling so the students can identify their personal risk factors and what they can do to minimize them,” Craig said.

She encourages students to get tested if they have participated in needle sharing or unprotected sex within the last three months.

The free testing will take place in the Union, parlor rooms A-C. For any questions or concerns please contact Craig or Rachel Crane at the Office of Health Promotion at 801-585-1274. Confidential HIV testing is otherwise offered every Tuesday at the Madsen Health Center from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for $15. Testing is free the first Tuesday of every month.