Softball: Game is fun gain

By Jason Peterson

Anyone found on last year’s U softball roster — and two players who weren’t — will vouch for the fact that things are running a little more smoothly this year.

Senior Kristie Keller said that the differences between this year’s 7-3 start and last year’s 3-5-1 start extend beyond the records.

“Our team is just really positive this year,” Keller said. “There’s more team chemistry, and the coaches care more about the players.”

Much of the team’s lack of camaraderie seemed to stem from last season’s coaches, whose tight-shipped approach to coaching didn’t mesh well with many of the young Utes. By season’s end, former coach Angie Jacobs stepped down, citing that it was best for the team that she moved on.

“There was too much drama before, and we just weren’t having as much fun,” Keller said. “Devina (Quintero) and Sharee (Fonoti) were let go from the team before the season started, and they shouldn’t have been.”

May’s hiring of new head coach and former U All-American Amy Hogue allowed for the reinstatement of Quintero and Fonoti, as well as a more relaxed atmosphere.

“Amy and her coaches have been awesome,” Keller said. “After last weekend (when the Utes went 2-3 after a 5-0 start), we were feeling a little drained, and Amy had us all stand in the outfield and put on a talent show. It was a lot of fun. It’s great to have (Devina and Sharee) back on the team. We missed them last year.”

The new laissez-faire attitude is not to be confused with sluggish effort, though.

“Amy likes to win, and so do we,” Keller said. “She’s been having us work on scoring when we load the bases because that was our main problem last week. We’ve been practicing our base-running, and she’ll set up certain situations for us.”

In addition to a new coach, the team has adjusted to several incoming players, including freshmen Laura Dahlberg and Brittany Parker, as well as transfers Angie Boardman, Bonnie Muir and Ashley Smuda. As a result, a domino effect of position changes has several players in new spots on the field — including Keller, who moved to right field after playing second base last year.

“I like it out there (in right field),” Keller said. “You don’t have to be on your toes as much.”

The Utes have this weekend off before heading to Austin, Texas, next week for a four-game set, including a rematch of this season’s first game against Wisconsin on Feb. 8 when Utah took a 3-1 win against the Badgers.