Hospital reopens after bomb threat

A bomb threat the U Hospital received Wednesday morning appears to have been a hoax.

After searching the hospital for explosives, police have determined that “it is safe to resume hospital and clinic service,” according to a statement posted on the U’s Website.

The statement says the hospital is once again open to patients and visitors.

The building was put on lockdown for several hours after an anonymous caller made the threat around 9:20 a.m. However, no patients were evacuated. Phil Sahm, a spokesman for U health sciences, said law enforcement advised the hospital to not evacuate patients.

Patients leaving the hospital Wednesday afternoon said they had heard little about the threat.

Gary Huckabaa was visiting his daughter in the hospital when the lock down took place. He said he didn’t learn the nature of the threat until he overheard hospital staffers talking.

“I was surprised they didn’t provide more information,” he said.

Despite the threat, construction on an expansion to the hospital continued throughout the day.

Matt Larsen, a construction worker, said he didn’t know there had been a bomb threat.

[email protected]

Thien Sok

Firetrucks line a road on upper campus Wednesday in response to a bomb threat at the U Hospital.