The Edge: Utah Utes vs. Air Force Academy

Quarterback

Air Force quarterback Shea Smith has tossed for 90 yards in three games. Utah’s Brian Johnson has thrown for 692. Catch the drift? With respect to the Falcons, it would be atypical to see Smith complete more than five passes against the Utes. The option attack is run first and foremost through the guy behind center and Smith has done a good job of that so far this season. He is second on the team in rushing with 227 yards to go alongside five touchdowns in three games. Johnson is coming off an average performance against Utah State in which he threw for 204 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Both quarterbacks have essentially led their team to 3-0 starts
Edge: Even

Running back

In last week’s victory against Houston, Air Force ran for 380 yards, which was 134 less than the Cougars, but still escaped with the victory. The accumulation of 1,074 yards in three games is an impressive feat against any caliber of opponent. Besides Smith, tailbacks Kyle Halderman and Kyle Lumpkin are also both over 220 yards. The Utes have the bruising tandem of Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack, who are effective, but neither has recorded a 100-yard rushing game this season. Air Force has been running from every different angle for the past 20 or so years, so the edge goes to the Falcon backfield.
Edge: Air Force

Wide receiver

Go ahead and cement the Utes the favor in this category8212;by at least a couple miles or so. Utah has five talented, reliable receivers and found another one last week. Highly touted JC transfer Aiona Key was finally cleared to join the team and add his talents into Johnson’s arsenal of incredibly versatile receivers. Bradon Godfrey, Freddie Brown and Brent Casteel have all done over 120 yards receiving and will look to be their typically impactful selves against the Falcon secondary. Air Force’s longest play receiving this year is a 19-yard reception made by Kevin Fogler, who has a grand total of 38 yards receiving in three games.
Edge: Utah

Offensive line

Any time you are first in rushing in the MWC and second in the nation, your offensive line does a damn fine job with their assignments. The offensive line for the Falcons is an incredibly athletic crew that has no one weighing over 285 pounds. The option-based attack requires quick, agile linemen to get their spots with force and accuracy. The Utes came off a 58-point performance, but, oddly enough, had a tough time keeping the Utah State line from getting to Johnson.Edge: Air Force

Defensive line

The Utes’ Tasmanian devil duo of Paul Kruger and Koa Misi continued to ravage of their opponents in the win against the Aggies. Kruger lived in the Utah State backfield with five tackles for loss, including four sacks. Misi, on the other hand, finished with five total tackles. Newbie defensive tackle Derrick Shelby8212;although a bit under-muscled8212;looks to be an interesting move inside. A natural defensive end, Shelby will be quicker than most tackles, and could spin his way to the quarterback a bit faster. The Falcons’ line is led by senior Jake Paulson, who currently leads his team in sacks and tackles for loss.
Edge: Utah

Linebacker

The terrifying trio was at it again Saturday in Logan. Stevenson Sylvester, Mike Wright and Nai Fotu were their stellar selves by stuffing any sort of Aggie offense. Fotu has racked up 11 tackles so far this season, and playing alongside the likes of Sylvester and Wright will only help Fotu to come flying in on the weak side locking into obliteration mode. Air Force’s 3-4 defense is a rarity in college football, but it certainly seems to be getting the job done for the Falcons. The linebacking corps is led by sophomore standout Ken Lamendola, who has eight tackles per game. It should be interesting to see which backer drops back to cover those talented Ute wideouts.
Edge: Utah

Secondary

Expect the likes of safeties Joe Dale, Robert Johnson and Terrell Cole to be playing much closer to the line of scrimmage8212;attempting to read the calls and option formations that will be coming their way. Corners Sean Smith and Brice McCain will be salivating at the outside chance that the Falcon quarterback will lob a pass their way and will have gap assignments to cover in the running game as well. The Air Force secondary gave up 364 yards passing against Houston, but only gave up 76 in the conference win over Wyoming. The back four are a bit undersized with only one starter standing 6 feet tall, so it could be a glorious day for the Ute receivers, especially the taller Godfrey, Brown and Key.
Edge: Utah

Special teams

Head coach Kyle Whittingham dubbed the punt return game against Utah State a fiasco8212;twice. The Utes used three different returners, botching four and losing two to the Aggies. Who will be back in no-man’s-land this weekend? That remains to be seen. Louie Sakoda was his usual automatic self hitting four field goals, pitting him with 42 career8212;two shy of the all-time Utah record. Sakoda could perhaps meet his match in Air Force punter Brandon Geyer, who is currently ranked No. 1 in the conference with 50.2 yards per punt. Kicker Ryan Harrison is another MWC kicker who is tied for second in scoring and first in PAT efficiency.
Edge: Even

Coaching

In Troy Calhoun’s first year with the cadets last year, he came into Rice-Eccles Stadium and ran the Utes to death. The 20-12 Air Force victory marked the Tommy Grady and Darrell Mack era for the 2007 Utes. One flopped; the other didn’t. The Utes must have this game circled on their calender after playing a horrid game of football in their 2007 home opener. Whittingham looked a bit outmatched and a bit out of his element against the first-time coach Calhoun, but the mistake will not be made a second time, especially with this fleet-footed Utah defense.

Edge: Even