Williams fills out coaching staff

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Almost two months after the Utes shocked the college football world in the Sugar Bowl, the coaching merry-go-round has finally ceased. Utah hired J.D. Williams, a seven-year coaching veteran of the Pac-10, as its cornerbacks coach.

“We’re pleased to announce the addition of J.D. Williams to our coaching staff,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham. “We took our time with this hire, and after a national search, we feel that we came away with the right fit for our program.”

The hiring of Williams will have a trickle-down effect on the rest of the Utah coaching staff.

Aaron Alford, who coached the defensive backs for the past two seasons, will take over the running backs. Newly minted offensive coordinator Dave Schramm will follow the path of former offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig and double as the quarterbacks coach next season.

Schramm’s new position opened up the recruiting coordinator position, which Whittingham filled with former Ute Morgan Scalley, who will also remain the safeties coach.

The 42-year-old Williams spent the past three years as the cornerbacks coach at the University of Washington. Before his tenure with the Huskies, Williams had a four-year stay in Berkeley, Calif., as Cal’s defensive backs coach.

The Golden Bears were first in the Pac-10 in quarterback efficiency defense and second in total defense in 2005, Williams’ last year with the Bears.

Before heading to Cal, Williams had a two-year stint at his alma mater, Fresno State, from 2000 to 2001.

Williams has a long list of accolades from his playing days, including a No. 16 selection in the 1990 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. Williams played in four Super Bowls before retiring in 1996.

The Coalinga, Calif., native inherits an inexperienced group of cornerbacks, as the Utes lost former stars Brice McCain and Sean Smith to graduation and the NFL Draft, respectively.

J.D. Williams