The right guy for the job

-Brent Uberty

When the Utes opened fall camp on Aug. 4, they made one thing clear — there would be a quarterback competition.

That storyline dominated the three-week camp with incumbent junior signal caller Travis Wilson, who had been medically cleared for full contact after missing the final month of last season, and Oklahoma transfer Kendal Thompson duking it out to be Utah’s man under center.

From the first day of camp, it was Wilson with the edge.

New offensive coordinator Dave Christensen brought a new wrinkle to the offense that Wilson led last year, but Christensen made it clear that a lot of things the Utes were running matched with his philosophy. That familiarity with the offense gave Wilson the advantage once camp began.

“They looked real good,” said senior wide receiver Dres Anderson after the first day of camp. “They’re both making the right reads, doing a good job. They both know the offense pretty well, and it’s going to be a fight. You can tell Travis is still in the lead running things.”

The battle continued, with the contenders flipping between good and bad days. When the first scrimmage came on Aug. 12, coaches were hoping one of the two would clearly distinguish himself. That didn’t happen.

“I wasn’t impressed by any quarterback today,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham following the scrimmage. “We’ve got a lot of work to do. It’s obvious. It’s disappointing because they’ve been very sharp up until today. But today, in a game-like situation, we didn’t respond, didn’t answer the bell. Based on today’s performance, we don’t have a starting quarterback.”

Four days later, on Aug. 16, the two got another shot to show their coaches they were deserving of the starting job. Reviews out of the second closed Ute scrimmage drew much better reviews for the ball slingers.

Unlike the first scrimmage, Wilson was ‘live’ for the first time since doctors discovered an intracranial artery condition last November. It was a sign that not only was Wilson all the way back but also that the competition was too close to call.

“You don’t go live if there’s a clear separation,” Whittingham said. “If there’s a clear separation between one and two, then typically you’re going to keep your one guy off-limits and go from there. But when it’s a heated battle, you’re much better and much more thorough in your evaluation if you can go live.”

In the game-like situation, Thompson was able to show off his running and scrambling abilities. The grad school transfer, who still has two years left of eligibility, rushed nine times for 89 yards, scoring twice. His passing numbers were more pedestrian, going 8 for 18 for 129 yards, with two TDs and one interception.

Wilson, who showed no signs of fear, finished the scrimmage 11 for 22 with 145 yards and two touchdowns.

“Felt like I laid everything out there today,” Wilson said after the scrimmage. “Hopefully the coaches will see that, too. But either way, whatever happens, happens, and I know they’ll pick the right guy to be the starter.”

Two days later, Wilson was officially named starting QB. However, Thompson was informed by his coaches that he had earned the right to play and will see some snaps when the Utes take the field this season.

“It’s not a two-quarterback system,” Whittingham said. “It’s not first quarter, second quarter. It’s when we get the opportunity to put Kendal in and get him some work. He’s earned that right, and you will see him play as well. But Travis is our starter.”

Returning Stars

On Aug. 23, safety Brian Blechen was voted team captain. It’s a long way from where he was this time last season.

Blechen missed the entirety of last season with an injury but now has worked himself all the way back.

“It was super tough just being on the sideline, not being able to play,” Blechen said. “But it’s made me that much more hungry to get out there this year and actually be on the field. I think this is the year we’re going to be able to turn it around because there were some close losses we learned from last year, and although I wasn’t playing, I was right on the sideline watching it all happen.”

The senior was a Pac-12 honorable mention all-conference selection in 2011 and 2012 before being forced to sit out last year with a knee injury.

Blechen won’t be the only one hoping to make a triumphant return when the Utes take on Idaho State Thursday.

Wide receiver Kenneth Scott will also be retuning from a season that was lost to injury. Scott injured his ankle in the first quarter of Utah’s opening game last season, causing him to miss the remainder of the year. In the last three weeks, Scott has proven that he is back in peak form and will again be part of the starting receiving core.

Top Surprises

Entering camp, wide receiver Tim Patrick was an unknown junior college walk-on transfer. Three weeks later, he is on scholarship and will be lined up opposite Dres Anderson in the Utah starting lineup.

Defensive tackle Clint Shepard is trying to make his own walk-on-to-starter story. After not being on the two-deep roster at the beginning of camp, Shepard is now in a three-way battle with Sese Ianu and Lowell Lotulelei.

Odds and Ends

The Utes will start the season thin at linebacker. Expected starters Gionni Paul and Jacoby Hale will both be on the bench when the Utes take the field on Thursday. Paul is expected to return on Sept. 20 against Michigan while Hale is targeting a mid-season return.

Utah will use a three-man running back rotation this season. Bubba Poole, Devontae Booker and Troy McCormick will all be expected to play critical roles in the Utes backfield.

On Aug. 23, the Utah coaching staff revealed who the team had chosen as its captains. On the offensive side, Ute players named receiver Dres Anderson and offensive lineman Junior Salt as captains. Nate Orchard and Brian Blechen were elected defensive captains and Andy Phillips will captain the special teams.

@millerjryan