Henry-Cole Looking to Make Impact with Utes

Adam Fondren
Sophmore Devonta’e Henry-Cole (7) shakes off a White defender at the University of Utah’s Red and White football game on Apr. 15, 2017 at Rice Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, UT Photo by Adam Fondren/Daily Utah Chronicle

Hard work and being humble have allowed Devonta’e Henry-Cole to be where he is now, but his goals are much bigger than just getting some playing time on the field. He once wanted to be the next Devontae Booker, but now he wants his own signs in the crowd.

Henry-Cole has proved himself to be a dominate force to be reckoned with during the University of Utah’s spring football as he continually improved each week. He may have also just earned some new fans as he finished the Red vs. White Spring Scrimmage with two touchdowns.

“For me, this season is to just keep working hard and find opportunities to play,” Henry-Cole said. “I also want to keep competing, getting a starting position, to just keep playing hard and be committed to the game.”

Henry-Cole, who is finishing up his freshman year at Utah, played in only one game for the Utes this past season on the road against Oregon State. While he did not see the field much as a freshman, it was something that didn’t catch him off guard. During his senior season at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Florida, he only played in three games before a broken wrist sidelined him the rest of the season.

The limited playing time the past few years has helped teach Henry-Cole that his attitude and confidence in himself are everything he needs.

“If you’re not getting the playing time, you have to keep your head up, keep working hard and keep competing,” Henry-Cole said. “I’ve been in that position, and if you don’t get playing time, just keep working hard.”

After practice, Henry-Cole has been putting in extra work with running back coach Kiel McDonald to earn that starting spot he wants. The family atmosphere within the U’s football program is something he loves the most about being in Utah.

“The family base, it reminds me of back home, everyone comes together,” Henry-Cole said. “I love the players; I’m comfortable with the coaches. It’s just a family base.”

Family means everything to Henry-Cole. He credits his own family for being the backbone to his success and that motivation when things get hard.

“My family back home, my mom, my dad and my siblings: they’re the ones who make me want to keep competing and keep fighting for it,” Henry-Cole said. “I just want to make them proud.”

His brother Donovan has been someone he looks up to in more ways than one. Donovan played soccer, and he taught that speed and agility to Henry-Cole to use on the football field, but it has been his leadership that Henry-Cole is most thankful for.

Henry-Cole lets his quiet and humble presence guide him through his daily life. His determination to work hard, keep competing and do what is asked of him has earned him the praises of head coach Kyle Whittingham.

“He’s a completely unselfish guy, a complete team player and he has a great attitude,” Whittingham said.

With the running back position already so dominant at Utah, Henry-Cole makes it that much more of an exciting position to watch.

@curramac22