U Offers DACA Students Free Consultation with Volunteer Attorneys

Jose Rems
Spencer Fox Eccles business building at University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT on Wednesday,Aug.30, 2017 (Photo by Jose Remes/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

The University of Utah Dream Center and the David Eccles School of Business are co-sponsoring a free event for students, faculty, staff and community members about the impact of revoking of DACA on the Salt Lake City community on Wednesday, Sept. 13.

Last week, President Donald Trump and his administration announced their controversial decision to eliminate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in the United States and turn away new applications.

Since then, U president, David Pershing, issued a statement supporting the DACA program and DACA students. The University of Utah is a DACA school and is working to protect and inform current DACA students and their families.

“We’re hosting this immigration, lawyer rights, future of DACA workshop to educate the community about the Trump administration’s decision to terminate DACA,” said Alonso R. Reyna Rivarola, the DREAM (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Program Coordinator at the University of Utah. “This is a decision that affects 10,000 people in Utah alone, and we want to let them know what to expect as the decision rolls out until Congress responds.”

The event is titled “Keep the DREAM Alive: DACA Q&A Session,” and will be held in the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building (SFEBB) Auditorium in room 1110 (1655 Campus Center Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84112).

The event will run from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., and will be divided into two halves. The first hour will be a general information session and discussion about what DACA is, its purpose, and how its termination will affect DACA recipients at the U and their families. The second hour will be devoted to one-on-one, private consultations with local volunteer immigration attorneys, where specific situations and questions can be addressed and answered. These attorneys will be available to provide information and insight, but are not intended to establish attorney-client relationships. Four to six attorneys are expected to be in attendance.

The workshop will provide ASL and Spanish language interpretation, and parking in the Business Loop in the Central Parking Garage near SFEBB will be free.