Red Rocks Beat Beavers 197.150-195.500

Kiffer Creveling
University of Utah women’s gymnastics senior Kari Lee performs on the uneven bars in a dual meet vs. Penn State at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

For the first time in school history, the No. 4 University of Utah Red Rocks Gymnastics (3-0, 1-0 Pac-12) team has scored 197 total team points in their first three meets of the season. As they achieved this historic moment, the team defeated Pac-12 opponent No. 21 Oregon State (3-1, 0-1 Pac-12) by a score of 197.150-195.500.

University of Utah women’s gymnastics senior MaKenna Merrell-Giles performs on the uneven bars in a dual meet vs. Penn State at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

For the second week in a row, the Red Rocks opened up competition on the bars, and kicking off competition for the team on the event was Kim Tessen. Even though she was a bit under the weather, she still scored a 9.800. Hunter Dula was next on the bars for the team, and the true freshman scored a 9.750. Also scoring a 9.750 for the team was MaKenna Merrell-Giles. Missy Reinstadtler hit the bars next and on a very solid routine and scored a 9.850. Another freshman standout Cristal Isa scored a 9.850 on a routine that Utah fans have come to love. Rounding out the bars for the team was MyKayla Skinner who stuck her routine but only scored a 9.925.

At the end of the first rotation the Utes lead 49.174-48.975.

The team then put their foot on the gas pedal heading into their turn on the vault. Starting things off strong for the team was Kari Lee who scored 9.875. Lee has showed her fantastic vaulting abilities all season long. Following Lee was Reinstadtler (9.700) who was a last minute substitution on this event. Reinstadtler took over Isa’s spot on the vault while Isa took over for Reinstadtler on the beam.

Macey Roberts showed a strong vault for the second week in a row and scored a 9.875. Alexia Burch had another great vault for the team with a score of a 9.825. Rounding out an impressive set of 9.8 scores was Merrell-Giles who gave the team another bump with a 9.850. Securing the rotation was Skinner who had a near perfect vault with a score of 9.975. One of the two judges did think it was perfect and rewarded Skinner with a perfect 10.

At the end of the second rotation, the Red Rocks lead had jumped to 98.575-97.900.

The team was in complete control of the meet heading into the third rotation and they put the pedal to the metal when hitting the floor.

University of Utah women’s gymnastics junior Missy Reinstadtler performs on the floor in a dual meet vs. Penn State at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Roberts started the team off on the apparatus with a score of 9.875. Reinstadtler was back on the floor tonight showing off her routine fans haven’t seen since opening weekend versus Penn State. She came rather close to stepping out of bounds on one of her tumbling passes but she kept clear of the line and gave the team their second 9.875 on the floor.

Adrienne Randall scored a 9.850 on her first event of the night. One judge did score her a 9.900 on her well-received routine. On her lone event of the night, Sydney Soloski scored a 9.875 on her routine. Merrell-Giles rounded off a series of 9.875 scores with her performance. Finishing the event for the team was Skinner who was just shy of being perfect with her score of 9.900.  

At the end of the third rotation, Utah was still leading 147.975-145.175.

University of Utah women’s gymnastics senior Shannon McNatt performs on the balance beam in a dual meet vs. Penn State at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Pending a terrible rotation from the Red Rocks on the beam, the team had secured the win. Reentering the beam lineup this week was Shannon McNatt, who made a case to keep her in the line up with a score of 9.800 on a strong start to the event. Making her debut on the beam was Isa, who has now shown off her skills on three out of the four apparatuses this season. Isa scored the first of a series of 9.850’s on the event. Also scoring the same on the event was Lee.

Coming out of the fourth spot was Merrell-Giles, who is usually very solid on the beam, fell off the event. Her score was the lowest of the team on the event with a score of 9.075. Randall rebounded for the team after the fall and scored a 9.850.  

Finishing off the Beavers was Skinner, who scored 9.825 on the event. Skinner also won the All-Around category with a score of 39.625. Skinner has yet to be beaten this season in the All-Around category. After tonight’s competition, Skinner has moved up to a tie in fourth place for all-time victories in school history.

Merrell-Giles finished third in the All-Around with a score of 38.550.

The team will finish off their road trip next week when they head into the desert to take on Arizona State on Jan. 26 in another key Pac-12 matchup.

@s_mora99