Utes Wrap Up Successful Weekend at Trojan Diving Invitational

By Ethan Pearce, Sports Editor

The University of Utah diving team had a successful weekend at the Trojan Diving Invitational in Los Angeles. Competing in a series of events over three days against many schools from across the West Coast, the Utes did well to place in multiple contests.

The meet was hosted by USC and featured divers from UNLV, UCLA, CSU Bakersfield, UC San Diego, Azusa Pacific, CSU Fresno, Cal Baptist, UC Berkeley, San Jose State and Cal Poly.

On day one of competition on Thursday, sophomore Tony Chen placed 2nd in the Men’s 3m championships with a score of 705.00. In the Women’s 1m championship, junior Emma Ruchala placed 11th, scoring 483.85. Lizzy De Cecco finished 15th, scoring 449.50.

On the second day, the Utes also placed well. In the Men’s Platform, Luke McDivitt and Chase Hindmarsh, both freshmen, finished in the top five. McDivitt placed 2nd with a score of 576.40. Hindmarsh finished 4th, scoring 526.25. In the Women’s 3m, Ruchala finished 8th with a score of 541.25. De Cecco placed 14th, scoring 466.70.

On the final day of competition, the Utes came out with some strong performances in both events. In the Men’s 1m, McDivitt finished 5th with a score of 534.55. Chen finished 7th, scoring 511.30. Hindmarsh grabbed 10th, scoring 482.85.

In the Women’s Platform, freshman Reagan Caufield scored 421.60 for a sixth place finish.  Her score is the eighth best in Utah swim and dive history.

“Regan salvaged the day with a good performance on tower,” said head diving coach Richard Marschner to Utah athletics. “It was the first time she has ever competed in that event and she dived with confidence and poise. She will improve with the more experience she gets.”

With many underclassmen scoring well and placing high in the event, it’s clear the Utes have a great foundation for the next few years. The Utes got some great experience here and will look to improve further at the Georgia Diving Invitational in a few weeks. Placing well here gives some confidence going into future meets, and the Utes will continue to work hard to improve as they get ready for the rest of the season.

@e_pearce_