Utah Women’s Basketball Heads to Colorado, Kicking Off Three Game Road Trip

AA

University of Utah Utes Women’s Basketball Team Wing Niyah Becker (14) scores during an NCAA Basketball match vs. the Eastern Washington Eagles at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. (Photo by Abu Asib | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Ethan Pearce, Sports Editor

The University of Utah women’s basketball team will hit the road this week on a trip to Colorado to face the Buffaloes.

The Utes have been struggling as of late, having just halted a four-game losing streak with a win over USC at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on Sunday. They had not won since Dec. 20 over Weber State. This is the second game against Colorado for the season — the Utes lost the first 80-70 at home. The Utes are 8-12 against the Buffaloes all-time. They won both matchups last season.

The Utes will look to push themselves back into winning territory, currently sitting at an even 8-8 record. After finally getting a win on Sunday, they want to keep that momentum going as they progress into more Pac-12 play. They are just 1-4 in conference play so far.

The Utes are led by freshman Lola Pendande, averaging 11.9 points per game. In the previous game against Colorado, she scored 20. Look for Pendande to carry the load for the Utes if they are to get this win.

The Buffaloes are in somewhat of a cold streak themselves, having lost three of their last four games. All three of those losses have come to top ten teams nationwide, and they are the Buffaloes’ only three losses on the season. Colorado is a very good team with a lot of solida players and strength all around. They won’t go down easily, but the Utes are hoping to play them close and come out with a victory.

Utah needs to play a complete game to pull this one-off. Having already seen Colorado once this season, they will have to show they learned something from the first time around. Limiting turnovers and points off fast breaks will prove key if they are to make an upset in Boulder.

Tipoff is set for Friday, Jan. 17 at 6:30 p.m. The game is set to air on the Pac-12 Network.

Friday’s game marks the first game in a three-game road trip. The Utes will be back at home on Jan. 30 to host Sabrina Ionescu and the No. 6 Oregon Ducks.

@e_pearce_