How To Have A Rory Gilmore Fall

Having a Rory Gilmore fall involves a lot of classic clothing statements.
“Gilmore Girls” (Courtesy Warner Bros)

Earlier this summer, copy editor Edie Raines wrote “How To Have a Julia Stiles Summer.” With summer transitioning into the fall, it inspired me to write about my favorite fall it-girl, Rory Gilmore. Here is a guide on how to have a Rory Gilmore fall.

Why ‘Gilmore Girls’ is Fall-Coded

I remember watching “Gilmore Girls” a few years ago, not knowing the cultural hold the show had on people. The show is quite comforting and has a strong sense of home. Stars Hollow, the town where the Gilmore duo live, is always decorated so festively, especially during the fall season. Pumpkins outside of the town’s gondola, bright orange leaves scattered on the pavement — even the intro of “Gilmore Girls” screams fall.

Most importantly, we cannot forget the fashion of the 2000s hit show. Rory Gilmore is the epitome of fall fashion. Most of her iconic pieces are classic and timeless with most statement pieces that will never go out of style.

Digging into Rory Gilmore’s Closet

If you want to find more fall pieces and don’t know where to start, Rory Gilmore’s closet is the perfect place to dig in.

One of the first items we see in Rory’s closet is a cable knit sweater. Cable knit sweaters are perfect for the colder season and can be styled in many ways. You can always find a good cable knit at a local thrift store. If you want a brand new one, you can find one at an H&M or Nordstrom.

I found my dream cable knit sweater on my trip to Ireland, and it became a huge essential in my wardrobe. Cable knits are so classy and can go with many cute outfits. My favorite way to wear it is with a black mini skirt or with denim jeans, paired with a nice pair of fall boots. The look is simple but elegant. You could always dress it up with some jewelry and a bold lip color.

Another essential of Rory’s style is turtlenecks. Turtlenecks may seem scary to some. However, they are quite crucial for the fall and winter seasons. One way to style a turtleneck is wearing it with a leather jacket along with a black mini skirt and tights. In Rory’s university days, she is seen wearing this combo quite a bit. It is a very versatile outfit and could also be worn with some wide-leg jeans.

Having a Rory Gilmore fall involves a lot of classic clothing statements. However, Rory always went outside of the box with her chic style. She is seen with floral patterned shirts or dresses, along with striped turtlenecks or blouses. She incorporates her personality into her fashion, which is the most important element when it comes to your own style.

In season 5, episode 14, Rory can be seen wearing a bright yellow-green graphic t-shirt that says “Reading is Sexy.” This lets her personality shine quite brightly. Assimilating graphic t-shirts into your fall wardrobe elevates a simple outfit but still shows you put in the effort.

Live Your ‘Gilmore Girls’ Fantasy

There are many ways to dress up and live your Rory Gilmore fall. Fashion is the way many of us express our ideas, feelings and creativity. If you are in need of some fall inspiration, I would highly recommend turning on “Gilmore Girls” while sipping your warm cup of chai tea and scrolling through Pinterest for your next fashion necessities. 

@elizadelgad0