Two top recruits commit to Red Rocks

By Tony Pizza

Greg Marsden and the U gymnastics team are continuing to stockpile their talent.

One year removed from one of the best recruiting years in U gymnastics history, Marsden received written commitments from two of the most highly sought gymnasts in the country.

Jacquelyn (Jacq) Johnson hails from West Chester, Ohio, and is in her second year on the USA National Team.

Kyndal Robarts is a San Marcos, Texas, native and a member of the Junior Olympic National Team.

Johnson, a senior at Lakota West High School, trains at the Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy in Ohio. She emerged on the international scene with a third-place performance in the preliminary round of the 2006 American Cup.

“Jacq was one of the most highly recruited gymnasts in the country this year,” said U head coach Greg Marsden. “She has always been a strong competitor and burst onto the international scene about a year ago at the American Cup. She has great skills on every event and the type of competitive experience that will help us continue to compete for championships.”

Robarts attends Hays High School in California and competes at U.S.A. Aerial Athletics.

At the 2006 Junior Olympic Championships, Robarts finished first in the floor exercise, second in the all-around and third on the beam. She was also a sought-after talent and Marsden said he feels fortunate for the opportunity to have a gymnast like Robarts coming to Utah.

“Kyndal was also heavily recruited by most of the top collegiate programs. She has enjoyed a tremendous amount of success at the Junior Olympic level and always competes well in the big meets,” Marsden said. “She will step in and help us immediately on every event.”

These two gymnasts will help bolster the Red Rocks’ young depth next year, as Marsden will be losing only one senior, but a very important one in Nicolle Ford.