Sri Sri in Salt Lake City

By Parker Williams

Indian spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar spoke Friday night at the Marriott University Park Hotel, and while the audience was smaller than some he has spoken to before, his presence was known in the city.

Shankar founded the Art of Living Foundation, the ultimate goal of which is to help people live stress-free and to “make life a celebration.”

In February 2006, the Art of Living Foundation held its silver jubilee celebration in India. More than 2.5 million people attended the event, which lasted several days.

Although Friday night’s attendance didn’t compare with that of the silver jubilee celebration, people in attendance were hard-pressed to find a seat. Shankar entered the dimly lit room wearing flowing white robes, welcomed by a crowd of about 600 people who gave him a standing ovation.

The foundation, which is non-denominational, emphasizes spirituality.

“Spirituality unites people whereas religion brings division,” said Shankar in an interview.

Shankar was born in India in 1956 and meditated frequently as a child.

In 1982, Shankar received the idea for Sudarshan Kriya, a breathing technique designed to eliminate stress and negative emotions. It came like a “gift from God,” he said.

Bill Shelton, a sophomore in psychology, said Shankar’s breathing techniques could help students study more productively. “I think it’s an easy, effective method to decrease the amount of stress in your life,” he said.

Before leading the audience in a 20-minute meditation session, Shankar answered questions from audience members.

When asked about success, Shankar said that there is gratification from accomplishing a difficult task, but sometimes “success indicates your limitation.”

University of Utah President Michael K. Young was among the local government and religious leaders who attended Friday’s event.

A 20-hour breathing course is being taught this month in Salt Lake City. The six-day course costs $375.

Christopher Peddecord

John Shavers, executive director of InterEthnic Health Alliance, speaks with His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar at the Marriott Hotel on University Parkway on Friday.