Annie Nebeker appointed new dean of students

By Parker Williams

Former Associate Dean of Students Annie Nebeker will replace Stayner Landward as the new U dean of students on June 1.

Nebeker said it will be difficult to fill the shoes of Stayner, who retired from the position last semester after 36 years at the U.

“Stayner set up a rich foundation,” Nebeker said. “I hope to continue the traditions of Stayner and hopefully create some new ones.”

In order to create new traditions, Nebeker has many goals, including providing a student-centered, co-curricular environment that enhances the academic mission of the university; increasing multi-cultural awareness and understanding; and continuing student advocacy both on and off campus.

Five different divisions on campus report to the dean of students: the Union, child-care facilities, campus recreation, student government and fraternities and sororities. The dean also deals with behavioral misconduct, although Nebeker notes that because the U has “a well-behaved campus,” more student advocacy is done than student discipline.

Dave Pershing, senior vice president of academic affairs, said that although Landward will be hard to replace, he is excited about Nebeker’s new role.

“We feel like Annie will be a wonderful replacement,” Pershing said. “She cares deeply about and understands students very well.”

Nebeker graduated from the U in 1987 with a degree in art history and psychology.

While working as the new dean of students, Nebeker plans to pursue her doctorate degree with the College of Social Work.

As part of Nebeker’s duties as dean of students, she will work as an advisor to the Associated Students of the University of Utah.

Student Body President Spencer Pearson said he looks forward to working with Nebeker.

“Annie is someone who genuinely cares about student needs and the betterment of the student body,” Pearson said.

Annie Nebeker is named dean of students