Balancing education and employment

By Parker Williams

For many students, the start of Fall Semester marks the beginning of a difficult balancing act between school and work.

When an extra hour of studying can mean the difference between passing or failing, time management becomes vital.

By getting one of the many jobs available on campus, not only can students earn the money they need, but by eliminating the drive to work, students can find a few more hours to cram for their next test.

Dillon Butler, a senior in economics, has worked as an aide at the Marriott Library for about a year.

“It’s not nearly as demanding as other part-time jobs,” said Butler, who works about 20 hours a week. Butler pursued the position after seeing an advertisement posted in the library. The pay is comparable to other part-time jobs, he said, and perks — such as being able to do homework and study — make it a great job for a college student.

Leslie Bolton, student employment coordinator at career services, said getting a job at the U can be especially beneficial for students who live on campus and do not have the option of driving to work.

“Students would probably be able to get a little more (money) working off-campus…but with the benefit of being able to get to their classes, it’s just easier,” Bolton said.

One of the resources students can use to find a job on campus is the career services website, www.careers.utah.edu. Career services has partnered with the U’s division of human resources to create a database with hundreds of jobs available on campus.

Not only can career services help with finding employment on campus, but it can also help students get college credit for it.

Even if a particular job isn’t related to a student’s major, credit can be earned if a job teaches skills that can be applied at another post-graduation career. Students interested in applying for internship credit can make an appointment with a career counselor to discuss what options are available.

Not all jobs available on campus are listed on the career services website. Students should directly contact employers for a complete list of available positions.