Groups serve students of many faiths

By Parker Williams

Utah is known around the nation for a variety of things — green Jell-O, the 2002 Winter Olympics, fry sauce and, of course, religion.

And though most people think of the U as a place for obtaining a secular education, there are several options on campus for those seeking spiritual education, as well.

LDS Institute of Religion

Located just south of the Huntsman Center is the LDS Institute of Religion. The Institute is by far the largest religious organization on campus and offers more than 200 courses, with topics ranging from Bible customs and geography to religions of the world. The program is geared toward members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“The greater emphasis I put on religion, the easier things in my life seem to be, including academics,” said Rob Parry, a senior in electrical engineering, who takes classes at the institute.

Religion is not the only thing offered at the Institute. Besides activities such as pool, air hockey and table tennis, the Institute features two gymnasiums for students who want to practice their jumpshot.

Enrollment at the Institute is free and can be done online or in person.

Saint Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center

Another place close to campus that offers religious services is the Saint Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center. Located west of Presidents’ Circle, the Newman Center holds daily Mass services and numerous other programs designed to promote Christian unity on the U campus. One such program, known as Alternative Spring Break, takes place during the U’s Spring Break. Rather than a stereotypical weeklong party, students travel to places where they help the poor, homeless and underprivileged.

The Newman Center also features a student lounge where students can go to unwind.

“Most of the students who come use our lounge to relax and hang out with friends,” said Seth Dyson, campus minister at the Newman Center.

The lounge offers amenities such as a big- screen TV, Internet access and a full kitchen.

I.J. & Jeann Wagner Jewish Community Center

Another institution near campus where students can relax is the I.J. & Jeann Wagner Jewish Community Center. Located just north of the University Hospital, the 100,000-square foot facility has everything students need to blow off steam, including swimming pools, exercise equipment and numerous sport courts.

Although the JCC is best known for its recreation programs, it also offers educational classes. “Java Judaism” gives people a chance to discuss a wide variety of ethical or contemporary Jewish issues while sipping a cup of coffee. Although a fee is required to join the JCC, anybody can attend “Java Judaism” free of charge.

Student Organization

In addition to the many churches located near campus, there are several religious-based student clubs and organizations that provide students with a place to connect with peers.

For more information on contacting such groups on campus, contact ASUU at 581-2788 or go online to www.ustudents.com.