Faust remembered

By Parker Williams

James Esdras Faust, Second Counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died at his home Aug. 10 at the age of 87.

Although perhaps best known for his more than 30 years as a General Authority in the LDS Church, Faust was also a distinguished U alumnus.

Faust was born in Delta, Utah, on July 31, 1920. After graduating from Granite High School in 1937, Faust attended the U. He participated as a member of the track team in 1938, competing in the quarter-mile and mile relay.

In 1939, Faust’s college career was interrupted when he left to serve as a missionary in Brazil. After returning from his mission, Faust served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II.

Upon being discharged, Faust returned to school and graduated with a bachelor’s and Juris Doctor degree in 1948.

After graduating, Faust practiced law in Salt Lake City and served as a member of the Utah State Legislature, as an advisor to the American Bar Journal and as president of the Utah Bar Association. In 1962, President John F. Kennedy appointed him to the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights.

Faust practiced law until his appointment as a General Authority for the LDS Church in 1972.

Many LDS students at the U, even those who never met Faust face-to-face, said Faust had an impact on their lives.

Cameron Parker, a freshman in pharmacy, called Faust’s death “totally unexpected.” Parker said he will always remember Faust as an outstanding teacher.

“When he had to make a point, he made it very clear,” Parker said.

In 1999, Faust was honored by the U as a distinguished alumnus. At the 2002 graduation commencement, Faust received an honorary degree and made brief remarks about the many teachers who had influenced his life.

“In truth, my teachers have all been legion,” Faust said at the ceremony.

He also credited God for much of his learning. “At times this knowledge has come, and it could not possibly have come from any other source,” Faust said.

In a statement released by the S.J. Quinney College of Law, dean Hiram Chodosh said although “deeply saddened” by Faust’s death, the school is moved by his life. “(We are) inspired by the extraordinary example set by the life and service of James Faust — his legal genius and the generous heart, his selfless leadership and dedication to family, church, and the world beyond,” Chodosh said.

#post_author_author, .post_author_avatar, .post_author_box{ display: none; }