Suspended fraternity returns

By Parker Williams

The U chapter of Phi Delta Theta fraternity is returning to campus after the chapter was disbanded two years ago because of a hazing complaint.

The International Fraternity removed the Utah Alpha chapter’s 91-year-old charter at the U in 2005, to the disappointment of both fraternity members and local alumni. The decision to suspend the fraternity came after a student reported being hazed during an initiation activity. The student was allegedly kicked in the mouth by another fraternity member.

Despite the temporary suspension of the chapter, the fraternity is striving to re-establish itself at the U.

“On the same day we suspended the chapter, we were already making plans for its return,” said Ryan Lufkin, a Phi Delta Theta alumnus and current chairman of the fraternity’s chapter advisory board. “For us, there was just never any question that Phi Delta Theta would be back on campus.”

Phi Delta Theta is essentially starting from scratch. Some of the resources available to the fraternity include a chapter house — which wasn’t sold during the fraternity’s suspension — and an alumni base in Salt Lake City.

Students who were members of the fraternity when it was suspended have not been allowed to return. Because no current members are available to help with recruitment, Phi Delta Theta headquarters, located in Ohio, sent two representatives to help restore the fraternity.

One of those representatives is John Talcott. Talcott said although Phi Delta Theta has challenges that other Greek organizations don’t have to deal with, its situation also provides unique opportunities for potential members. Because the chapter has no members, many leadership positions need to be filled.

“It’s an interesting challenge,” Talcott said. “We don’t have any members…so students can jump into a leadership position right away. The re-founding fathers will be able to make Phi Delta Theta what they want to make it.”

Lori McDonald, assistant eean of students and U advisor to Greek Row, said she is impressed that students and alumni are working to re-establish the chapter on the right foot.

“Starting a fraternity takes a lot more effort than maintaining one,” McDonald said.

Many students join specific Greek organizations because of a legacy in their family — a certain fraternity or sorority that all of their family members have been a part of. While these legacies are often fun traditions, McDonald said starting new traditions can also be a valuable experience, and she hopes students won’t overlook the many opportunities available.

For more information on the U chapter of Phi Delta Theta, visit the fraternity Website at areyoualeader.com.