De-stress tips for students

By Paige Fieldsted

Stress. It’s something all students have to deal with, especially with midterm exams going on.

“Stress is the No. 1 reason students are either doing poorly or failing a class,” said Elizabeth Craig, adviser to the Student Health Advisory Committee.

To help students deal with stress, the committee is hosting a De-stress Fest today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Union Ballroom. Students can participate in a variety of activities including playing Xbox games, making stress balls, receiving massages and making buttons.

“A lot of people, especially around this time of year, get really stressed out. They get sick and things just shut down,” Craig said. “This is an opportunity to take your mind off the stress for a little while.”

In addition to stress-relieving activities, students can make safe Spring Break kits. Advil, sunscreen, ChapStick, condoms, Band-Aids, hand sanitizer, Pepto-Bismol, toothpaste and sleep masks will be available for students.

Safety tips on sun, alcohol, first aid and sex will also be handed out along with emergency numbers and numbers for hotlines that students might find useful.

“It will be a really fun opportunity for students to chill out,” Craig said. ” We want students to learn about stress and how to manage their stress.”