MWC Rankings

By Tony Pizza

Week 2

No. 1 BYU Cougars (1-0, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 @Washington
BYU has dropped a road game against an overmatched opponent within the first three weeks of the season in each of the last three years. Washington could stand as the Cougars’ 2008 Achilles’ heel and the Cougars’ second half last week revealed some wobbly tires.

No. 2 Utah Utes (1-0, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 vs. UNLV
There is no way Utah will allow UNLV to be another bitter pill in an otherwise successful season. The Runnin’ Utes’ defense is the best in the conference and Utah can only be better disciplined against a weaker opponent at home.

No. 3 TCU Horned Frogs (1-0, 1-0 MWC)

9/6 vs. Stephen F. Austin
TCU gets its cupcakes this week, and you can’t blame them after having to start the season on the road against a conference opponent. The game against Austin will be over in the first quarter, allowing plenty of time to rest for Stanford at home the following week.

No. 4 Wyoming Cowboys (1-0, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 vs. Air Force
Pulling out a gritty come-from-behind win against a formidable opponent is one thing, but the Cowboys are likely going to have to pull out a better performance early because Air Force has one of those teams that can put you in a hole quick.

No. 5 New Mexico Lobos (0-1, 0-1 MWC)

9/6 vs. Texas A&M
Tough Texas-based MWC team in week one, an equally talented Big 12 team from Texas in week two. That’s the life of the Lobos, who have not skimped on a tough schedule in 2008. Fortunately, the possibility of going 0-2 to start the season shouldn’t surprise most UNM fans.

No. 6 Air Force Falcons (1-0, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 at Wyoming
The Falcons drew a favorable time to visit Laramie if you’re unfortunate to have to mosey on up in that direction. Wyoming should be better than they showed against Ohio, and with that being said, Air Force has to be at its very best to win this game.

No. 7 UNLV Rebels (1-0, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 at Utah
Utah is looking to do to UNLV what it did to Wyoming last year. The Rebels won’t score more than 13 points against Utah’s fast and aggressive defense, but expect Frank Summers to be up to the task of having a target on his back.

No. 8 Colorado State Rams (0-1, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 vs. Sacramento State
The Rams put up a decent showing against in-state rival Colorado. Whether this week is the highlight of the season, or just the jump start the Rams need, Sacramento State shouldn’t be a tough enough challenge to make a week three bye a “much-needed” break.

No. 9 San Diego State Aztecs (0-1, 0-0 MWC)

9/6 at Notre Dame
Losing to an FCS (formerly Division-I AA) school is unforgivable, especially if you have the fertile San Diego recruiting ground that the Aztecs have. Sun and surf will not put smiles on any SDSU personnel or fans’ faces as this could realistically be a 0-12 year.

Compiled and ranked by Tony Pizza