UTA should conform to customers demand

By James Sewell

If there are any positives to be found in the meteoric rise in gas prices over the past few years, and the past few months in particular, one might look to the noticeable increase in pedestrian and bicycle commuters, who are doing their small part in alleviating congestion on our crowded streets and pollution in our precious air.

The sight of so many bicycles on campus, and more empty spots in U and E lots, is heartening, but not entirely without complication. Our beautiful campus is nestled in the foothills of the Wasatch, which makes for terrific views, but it can present a minor difficulty for people living closer to the valley floor, like me, who do not wish to climb steep grades early in the morning and arrive on campus sweatier than all get out, only to sit through hours of classroom time trying valiantly to cool off and not offend our classmates with our bodily fluids and odors.

Luckily, we have the option of catching TRAX, which can spirit us up to campus in a matter of minutes from 400 South. Of course, some diehards will punish their bodies (and classmates) by undertaking the challenge of hillclimbing, and they’ll reap the additional benefits of exercise for their effort, although their social prospects might be diminished.

While TRAX presents a wonderful opportunity for eco-friendly transportation, it has its drawbacks. For one, the trains don’t run frequently enough to efficiently move the swelling throngs of carless commuters up to campus. For instance, in the morning, the interval between trains is about 15 minutes; at peak times, trains should be running every 8 to 10 minutes.

Also, the size of the trains is inadequate. Instead of three cars, why doesn’t the Utah Transit Authority increase the number to five? For every additional car, at least 30 to 40 people could be accommodated8212;instead of packing in like sardines, there’d be ample room for all.

Additionally, each car is allowed to have only four bicycles, a figure that is easily surpassed by the current demand. TRAX has decided to remove one bench seat at each end of the train so bikes don’t clog the entrance. This is a step in the right direction. Now UTA just needs to make similar concessions to pedestrian riders.

Last Wednesday morning, I arrived at the station at 900 East, just down the (big) hill from Rice-Eccles Stadium, and watched as two trains came and went with nary a spot for a poor old cyclist like me, leaving me little time to get back on my bike and commence sweating freely as I pedaled up to Presidents’ Circle for my 8:35 class.

An even graver episode struck me Monday morning, when I arrived at the station (on foot this time, lesson having been learned) and still couldn’t get on two consecutive trains. I was left standing dumbfounded on the platform with at least 15 other students in similar states of mind, pondering the best way to get up to campus after any confidence in UTA had withered like a rose in the dead heat of summer.

Most egregiously, the inability of UTA to provide dependable service that morning caused me to leave my writing students stuck in a classroom with no instructor and no way to know that class would be canceled.

In order for mass transit to retain its popular and lasting appeal, it needs to not only be functional, but also responsive to the needs of the ridership, which includes not just pedestrians, but cyclists as well. Ride UTA? Would that it were always possible.

James Sewell