Study abroad is once in a lifetime opportunity

By Jonathon Deesing

There are some things you cannot learn in the library.

As students, we have a unique opportunity to do a myriad of things we will not be able to at any other point in our lives. One of the greatest opportunities we have is studying abroad.

Studying abroad offers an experience that far outstrips one received in a traditional college setting. In almost all cases, lessons overseas are amplified by the region in which they are studied. Language students benefit from a full-immersion experience. Political science and history students learn to understand their subjects from the eyes of the peoples who experienced them.

Furthermore, by placing yourself in uncomfortable situations, you can learn a lot about yourself, said Fernando Rubio, the study abroad director for the Oviedo, Spain program.

“You learn how to lose your inhibitions,” he said.

Rubio, who was born in Spain and embarked on a study abroad trip to England at age 14, has been running the Oviedo program at the U for six years. His own experience convinced him of the great benefits of studying abroad.

“You definitely learn more (in a study abroad program)” in comparison to a traditional university setting, he said. “You become more flexible and adaptable; you learn to understand people who think differently than you.”

For many of us, this open-mindedness is difficult to achieve inside our comfortable, conservative Utah bubble.

Some U students have no option in this area. The international studies major requires at least one semester studying abroad. What’s more, the department of languages and literature is seriously considering adding a similar requirement to its majors in the next year. This is a great idea, as it will give students a much deeper understanding of the language which they are studying.

Through all of these benefits, I think the best part of studying abroad is the fact that it is a limited-time offer. When else in your life will you have the opportunity to just pick up and leave for a few months without worrying about a job, child or house payment? Sure, you could go see Big Ben in half a century, but it won’t be the same as living and breathing London for two months. Things are never the same with a Hawaiian shirt and sandals.

Life becomes very real after college, and having as many surreal experiences as possible is paramount. In this economy, why be in a rush to hit the job market? Extend your student loans and pack your bags, because, as Rubio said, “It’s now or never.”

Jonathan Deesing