Bigotry is never appropriate

Lindsay+Schuring
Lindsay Schuring

Lindsay Schuring
Lindsay Schuring
I am the king of rationalization, but I fear I’m about to lose my crown. In the past I have successfully been able to rationalize my utter refusal to tip on to-go orders at restaurants because as far as I’m concerned, if I’m not expected to tip at Burger King than I shouldn’t have to tip for a pick-up at Chili’s. I have skillfully internalized my justification for tailgating cars during rush hour because if I leave the proper space other cars will simply cut me off. But on the issue of my desire to justify my bigoted, and sometimes murderous, actions towards spiders I find that I’m failing. As much as I would like to think that because spiders scare and disgust me that it’s appropriate for me to refer to them as eight-legged freaks or the creepy crawling spawn of Satan, the fact remains that it still qualifies as blatant spider bigotry. Trying to rationalize bigotry is as inappropriate as it is impossible because bigotry is never acceptable, a concept that needs to be reinforced here in Utah.
The demographics of Salt Lake City has undergone a dramatic change during the last decade as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints now represent less than half of the city’s population. Despite the fact that Democrats dominate the political landscape in Salt Lake, it’s the Republicans — and the powerful influence of the LDS Church — that still determines many of the states laws. With recent hot button issues such as the continuation of Utah’s antiquated liquor laws and the fight against same-sex marriage dominating the headlines, animosity towards the LDS Church and its members is at a boiling point. It’s during times like these that cooler heads need to prevail. Despite the understandable grievances against the LDS church, it is imperative that civility reigns over bigotry.
It’s important to distinguish bigotry from the criticism that the LDS Church receives about its policies on issues like same-sex marriage or those who may joke about the many eccentricities of the religion. For example the wildly successful “Book of Mormon” musical is founded on catchy tunes that make fun of Mormon culture but doesn’t quite cross the line into outright bigotry, though it can be argued that the lyrics suggesting that Mormons are empty-headed simpletons who can’t think for themselves comes close. It’s highly doubtful that the creators of “Book of Mormon,” Trey Parker, Robert Lopez and Matt Stone, could have escaped the cries of bigotry if their musical had made fun of Jews or Catholics instead.
According to Merriam-Webster, a bigot is defined as “a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc.: a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group).” This is the definition that separates those who take umbrage at the actions of the LDS Church because of social and political differences through legitimate disapproval from those who choose to strike back with vile insults and obvious bias. If political candidates rely on sample polling to get a gist of the current political climate, then relying on the comment section of local newspapers can also offer a glimpse into the current mood of a community.
For those who aren’t sure what religious bigotry looks like, I would suggest entering the comment section of any Salt Lake Tribune article that involves the LDS Church. The difference between constructive criticism and blatant bigotry is instantly obvious. Mixed in with comments that reasonably reproach the social policies of the LDS Church are just as many that are filled with the hateful and insulting language that define bigotry. These comments include calling members of the LDS Church “idiots,” making fun of their “magic underwear,” using derogatory terms such as “MoMos” and referring to LDS Church founder Joseph Smith as “ol’ Joe” or “Joe Smith.” These types of comments are strong, unfair and exhibit signs of hate, all of which are elements that qualify as religious bigotry. What’s most disturbing about these kinds of comments is the fact that, rather than other users rebuking the person for their bigoted statements, they are generally given multiple “likes.” If this type of wording was being used to describe other religious groups or members of the LGBT community, there would be an instant outcry of indignation.
Regardless of how despicable the actions of the LDS Church may seem to others, there is never an excuse for bigoted language. Yet that is exactly the excuse many people will use for their own prejudice, suggesting that their bigotry is justified because the LDS church is also bigoted. Well, as the old adage goes, you don’t fight fire with fire. And as for my own twisted bias towards, spiders the definition of bigotry does not include arachnids, so as far as I’m concerned I can still retain my crown. After all, I’m the reigning king of rationalization.

• D

DanielbmcApr 2, 2014 at 9:46 am

The key word in the definition of bigotry is “unfair”. While we can say that name calling is bad, the fact is, Mormons have tried to prevent GLBT people from having equal rights in this country using their religion as an excuse. Gay people haven’t tried to force Mormons to perform gay marriages, and they haven’t tried to prevent Mormons from getting married. The name calling may be childish but I’m not sure it’s “unfair.”

• D

DanielbmcApr 2, 2014 at 9:46 am

• T

TISOGMar 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm

It’s called being “intolerant of intolerance”. It’s the same reason people don’t show respect towards Neo-Nazi groups or White Supremacy groups; their beliefs are openly bigoted and have a long and painful history for particular groups they condemned (in the case of Mormons, gays, blacks, and feminists), therefore they leave themselves open for ridicule.
    The strong division between Mormons and non-Mormons in Utah is a phenomenon unique to Utah because there is such a strong Mormon majority here. This same kind of Mormon bashing doesn’t really take place in other states where Mormon’s are a minority simply because the Church doesn’t have the same kind of controlling influence over people’s lives. But here in Utah there are many disaffected non-Mormons who were once Mormon who have a long and painful history with the Church, being raised to believe one thing (that gays are an abomination, that your goodness is dependent upon where you go on Sunday, or how much money you give to the church, or that the Book of Mormon is the “most correct book”), and then later they come to realize these teachings are false, so they feel betrayed and lash out in anger against the powerful entity that dominated their life for so long. It’s understandable, although they would probably do better by taking the higher road. Sometimes the pain is so great though.

• C

ColoradoRobMar 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

It is true that Utah is special, and living there, one feels the pressure to develop and express strong opinions about the LDS church, pro or con.
      It is not true that you can’t find Mormon bashing outside of Utah. It’s everywhere from Uganda to Texas.
      Actually, this is generally true for just about any sort of bigotry. You can find it anywhere, just in different amounts. Nothing really specific about mormons here.

• T

TISOGMar 28, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Which is why I said, the “SAME KIND of Mormon bashing doesn’t really take place in other states”. I’m not saying it doesn’t, but on the same level as in Utah it doesn’t. It’s the same for Catholic bashing. All Protestants Catholic-bash, even here in Utah, but it’s not nearly as bad here as it is in populations where there is a greater Catholic influence. Bashing is kind of directly proportional to the number of members it has, or the amount of influence it has over the local area. Anywhere in the Mormon corridor (Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, California) there will be more Mormon bashing, but go out to Pennsylvania or Connecticut, it will hardly be on people’s radar.

• T

TISOGMar 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm

• C

ColoradoRobMar 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

• T

TISOGMar 28, 2014 at 2:01 pm