Soccer: Utes Hope to Send off Seniors in Style with Win Over Buffs

Senior defender Megan Trabert (18) takes a shot on goal in a game against Stanford at the Ute Field, Friday, Sept. 25, 2015.

With the season coming to a close, the Utah soccer team is hoping to grab one final win over its rivals, the Colorado Buffaloes, this Friday at home. The Utes, who are coming off an up-and-down weekend, including a comeback win over Arizona State and a close loss against Arizona, want to send a message to their next season opponents by defeating their rivals to finish off the 2015 campaign.

Utah also wants to send its seniors, who will be playing their final game of their college careers, off in the right fashion with the win. It has been an emotional week for all of the seniors, including keeper Lindsey Luke and team captain Megan Trabert, who have been major contributors to the squad the past four years.

“I’m just taking everything as slow as I can in this week,” Trabert said. “I’m thinking about all the little things that happen with this team that I won’t be able to experience again. It’s really bittersweet for sure.”

Luke also agreed with Trabert’s statement and has been thankful for what the U has given to her education-wise, and in helping her revive her outstanding soccer career since she transferred from Wake Forest in 2012.

“It’s starting to hit me a little that my college career is almost over,” said Luke. “Even just yesterday I was thinking I’m very thankful for the opportunity I was given. I’ve had times where I’ve been really low and times where I’ve been happy, but through it all I don’t have any regrets coming here. I’m just feeling really thankful.”

Even though the team will be looking for the win on Senior Day, it will be an uphill battle with Colorado also wanting to end their season on a higher note. The Buffs (1-7-2, 7-9-3) are dead-last in the Pac-12 with only one win in conference play. But with their only Pac-12 win coming against No. 20-ranked Cal, the Buffs know how to put up a fight. Utah head coach Rich Manning is prepared to not let any unexpected surprises happen, and is hoping to start strong to grab the advantage.

“We really need to score some goals,” Manning said. “That has been one of the major concerns from this team this season. If we can start strong, get some points on the board, and be consistent defensively, we can beat this team on Friday.”

Even though Utah has the upper hand — for now — over its last-placed rivals, Pac-12 Networks’ commentator Rich Cellini — who is covering Friday’s game — feels it’s hard to decide between these two teams, who are both looking to get something before the curtain closes on the season.

“It’s hard to decide which team has the better advantage,” Cellini said. “Both teams are definitely wanting the win. Colorado has had a really surprising season given their history of success the past couple of years, and Utah have just been unlucky this year with their offensive capabilities. It’s really hard to decide between the two, but we’ll find out Friday.”

With no team with a clear advantage, it will be a very competitive match with the both teams pulling out all the tricks and tactics to get an edge over their rivals. The game is bound to be physical, something Trabert recognizes, and the Utes will have to give everything they have left in the tank after a brutal season.

“This is the last game — my last game,” said Trabert. “We need to give everything we have to beat Colorado and leave it all on the field. I’m proud of this team and what we’ve done this year, but we need to make a statement and finish the season strong.”

Kickoff of this rivalry match will begin Friday at 2 p.m. MST at Ute Field.

@chad_marquez