Carnegie Hall Pianist Turned U Professor Shares His Talents

Photo credit: Cara Macdonald

Every passionate music lover knows of the prestigious concert venue Carnegie Hall, but may not always get to attend a performance there. Luckily, performers will sometimes grace the stages of other venues closer to home, and this weekend Andrew Staupe, an American pianist with an impressive (and growing) reputation, is one such artist that will be performing here in Utah.

Originally from Saint Paul, Minnesota, Staupe has travelled across the United States and Europe playing in highly esteemed venues. Stoup’s resumé includes playing with Bobby McFerrin, appearing as a soloist for the Baltimore Symphony, and having had concerts at the Kennedy Centre, the Library of Congress, and Steinway Hall. In Europe, he has toured through Amsterdam, Moscow, Paris, and Romania, according to his website. After debuting at Carnegie Hall, New York Concert Review praised him, saying, “[it] was one of the most incredible performances of…masterpiece I have ever heard.”

Staupe’s reputation, in addition to being impressive, is also versatile. Favouring new music, Staupe plans to feature the work by composers such as Christopher Goddard and Sarah Kirkland Snider in addition to playing the music of composers Franz Schubert, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Jean-Phillipe Rameu and Claude Debussy at his recital this upcoming Sunday.

Though he continues to travel for performances and musical collaborations, Staube’s passion for teaching has made him a professor at the U, and students can enjoy his talent, artistic insight and his experience as both audience and class members.

Whether you’re a music aficionado or just a person who can appreciate a beautiful tune, don’t miss this chance to attend a recital sure to be full of musical surprises and passionate dedication to song.  Staupe will be performing this upcoming Sunday night, Sept. 25th, at Libby Gardener Concert Hall. Admission is free to the public.

@alexiscortezxx