Relive the Top 10 Moments from Utah’s Six-Game Winning-Streak Against BYU

Utah Chronicle File Photo

#10 Dres Anderson runs across the field, both ways – 2013

The 2013 edition of the rivalry game was dominated by both defenses. Utah and BYU converted just six third downs combined. There were 18 punts and 15 penalties. It was an overall underwhelming game.

One of the few offensive highlights that come out of the game for Utah was a thrilling 74-yard catch and run by wide receiver Dres Anderson.

The game was in danger of going without a single touchdown in the first half when Utah started a drive at its own 20-yard line with just two minutes remaining. After a BYU penalty pushed it up to the 25-yard line, quarterback Travis Wilson completed a long pass to Anderson. The catch was made around BYU’s 45-yard line, but Anderson wasn’t done yet. He dashed down the sideline for 10 yards, then stopped on a dime and cut back across the field to avoid a cohort of BYU defenders. He broke one tackle as he crossed the 20-yard line, then he picked up blockers that escorted him within the 5-yard line, where he ultimately came up just 1 yard short of the touchdown. Still, it ranks as one of the best offensive moments from the last six years of Holy War games.

#9 Sunia Tauteoli scores six points in 16 seconds – 2016

On BYU’s very first play of the game, quarterback Taysom Hill’s pass bounced off the hands of his receiver and into the hands of Utah linebacker Sunia Tauteoli, who promptly waltzed into the end zone.

It was a cruel moment of deja vu for BYU fans who must have thought they were in for another 54-10 kind of game. But it was actually Utah who struggled holding onto the ball, as they turned the ball over six times. The Cougars didn’t take full advantage of Utah’s mistakes though, and fell by one point.

#8 Jordan Wynn throws interception, BYU fumbles and Utah recovers – 2010

The 2010 edition of the Holy War will forever be remembered as the Brandon Burton blocked field goal game, but a lot of fans forget that this ending would never have been possible without this crazy turn of events late in the fourth quarter.

With 6:24 left in the game and Utah needing a touchdown, quarterback Jordan Wynn was picked off by BYU defensive back Brandon Bradley, who started returning the interception down the field. That could have sealed a BYU victory, but Utah wide receiver Kendrick Moeai forced and recovered a fumble.

Three plays later, running back Matt Asiata scored a 3-yard touchdown run which proved to be the game-winning play.

#7 Tom Hackett picks up first down – 2015 Vegas Bowl

What Utah player had the longest run during the Vegas Bowl? Joe Williams? Travis Wilson? No. It was punter Tom Hackett.

With nine minutes left in the third quarter and facing a fourth-and-7, Hackett, a fan-favorite and All-American punter, took the snap and barreled down the field for a 21-yard gain. He even lowered his shoulder to take a hit rather than safely run out of bounds.

#6 John White can’t be stopped – 2011

Utah was already leading BYU 33-10 when running back John White busted out a 62-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. It was his second touchdown of the day, and he went on to finish with 174 yards. Not at all content, White reeled off another 35-yard touchdown on the first play of Utah’s next possession.

The back-to-back rushing touchdowns lead Utah fans to take BYU’s taunt of “Jonny Harline’s still open” and adapt it to “John White’s still running.”

#5 Utah scores 35 points in a quarter – 2015 Vegas Bowl

Does an entire quarter of football count as a moment? In this case it does because the same thing happened over and over again throughout the quarter. BYU turned the football over. Utah scored a touchdown. Rinse and repeat. After 15 minutes, Utah was on pace to score 140 points, but something must have happened during a commercial break because Utah lost its mojo. The offense went scoreless the rest of the game. However, Utah did end up victorious by one touchdown.

#4 Jake Heaps’ butter fingers – 2011

In the first season after Utah joined the Pac-12 and BYU went independent, the two sides broke tradition by meeting in September. It didn’t take long for the rivalry game to get into gear. On just the third snap of the game, the ball sailed over BYU quarterback Jake Heaps’ head. Heaps frantically picked up the ball and attempted to throw it, only to lose his grip and fumble it into the end zone. After a comedic failed attempt at a diving recovery, Utah’s defensive end Derrick Shelby picked it up in the end zone for the first score of the game.

This was just a taste of what was to come. The Cougars went on to turn the ball over seven times throughout the course of the game, powering the Utes to a 54-10 victory.

#3 Stephenson hits upright after Utah fans storm field twice – 2012

In one of the craziest endings to a college football game ever, Utah sneaked away with a 24-21 victory after BYU kicker Riley Stephenson hit the upright on a potential game-winning 36-yard field goal.

But that was after Utah fans had rushed the field twice. The first time was because they believed time had expired, but instant replay revealed there was still time on the clock after an incomplete pass by quarterback Riley Nelson. BYU then attempted a field goal that was blocked, but Utah fans rushed the field before the play was finished so the Cougars got one more opportunity — but we all know how that went.

The ending was all the more dramatic considering what BYU had to do to even put themselves in that position. The Cougars were down by 10 with seven minutes remaining in the game. After back-to-back defensive stands, a touchdown and a miraculous fourth down conversion, it seemed that BYU was destined to win. If Utah’s goalposts were a few inches wider, it would have.

#2 Taysom Hill stuffed on 2-point conversion – 2016

BYU had every chance to win last year’s installment of the Holy War, as Utah gifted it six turnovers. The Cougars’ final chance came in the form of a potentially game-winning two-minute drill. Hill lead his team down the field, converting multiple third downs, before running it in from 7 yards out, with his arms prematurely raised in victory.

BYU head coach Kalani Sitake opted to go for the 2-point conversion and the win rather than overtime. His play call? A quarterback-keeper straight into the strength of the Utah defense. It didn’t go well.

#1 Brandon Burton blocks BYU’s game-winning field goal attempt – 2010

There was a lot going on in this game. It was the last rivalry game before Utah joined the Pac-12, BYU had won three of the past four games and it was just one year removed from Max Hall’s infamous tirade against Utah.

After going scoreless through three quarters, Utah entered the fourth quarter down 13-0. But it stormed back, managing to put 17 points up on the board and take the lead 17-16 with just 4:24 left in the game.

As BYU began its potential game-winning drive, Utah fans started to feel a little bit of deja vu as the Cougars marched down the field, converting a third and long with a 22-yard pass from Heaps to wide receiver Devin Mahina.

This one would end in the Utes’ favor though. Cornerback Brandon Burton got around the edge and blocked a 42-yard field goal attempt by kicker Mitch Payne.

The play single-handedly sealed Utah’s victory and kicked off the Utes’ current six-game winning streak and for that, it takes our top spot.

@jusstadams

Find more rivalry stories here.