No. 7 Utes Set to Face off with Bruins

University of Utah junior quarterback Tyler Huntley (1) keeps the ball during an NCAA Football game at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA on Friday, Oct. 26, 2018. (Photo by: Justin Prather | The Utah Chronicle).

By Sammy Mora, Sports Editor

After what seemed like ages, the No. 7 University of Utah football team (8-1, 5-1 Pac-12) is back at home for the final stretch of the season to take on UCLA (4-5, 4-2 Pac-12) in a match that has serious south division implications. Last year, the Utes handled the Bruins easily 41-10 in Los Angeles. 

Scouting the Utes

Before the bye week, the Utes marched into Seattle and avenged the two losses that the team suffered at the hands of Washington last season 33-28.

Tyler Huntley had yet another breakout game versus the Huskies, going 19-24 for 284 yards and 1 touchdown. Jaylen Dixon led the team in receiving yards with 72 yards on 2 attempts. Bryan Thompson also had double digit receiving yards, with 60 in the victory.

Not only did he lead the team in rushing yards, Zack Moss also had the lone receiving touchdown in the game. On the rushing side of things, Moss racked up 100 yards on 27 attempts. He also rushed for 1 touchdown.

The Utah defense also showed people what they were made of in Seattle, holding yet another team to under 100 rushing yards in the game. Terrell Burgess lead the team with 10 total tackles (8 solo and 1 TFL). Julian Blackmon also had a strong game. Not only did he add another interception to his career and season total, he also had 8 tackles on the day.

Jaylon Johnson recorded his second career pick six in the win. John Penisini held down the defensive line with one sack as well as forcing a fumble. Bradlee Anae also had a sack on the day.

Kicker Jadon Redding was perfect on the day, hitting both a 31 and 32 yard field goals as well as making all his PATs.

Many members of the Utah team were honored after the win in Seattle. Both Huntley and Penisini were named to conference honors — offensive player of the week and defensive linemen of the week — while Moss was named the Rose Bowl Player of the Week. Johnson was named The Draft Network Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week. Huntley was also named the Manning Award Quarterback of the Week.

Scouting the Bruins 

The Bruins are also coming off a bye week, but in their last game they took down Colorado 31-14.

While the season hasn’t been what fans have hoped to see from quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson, he still had moments of potential. On the season he has been 147-243 for 1837 yards, 17 touchdown and 8 interceptions.

Demetric Felton has been DTR’s favorite target this season. Felton has 471 yards on 39 receptions and 3 touchdowns.

On the rushing side of the game, Joshua Kelley leads the team with 861 yards on the season. He has 10 touchdowns to his name this season.

The UCLA defense is allowing 294.3 pass yards per game and 137.2 rushing yards per game.

Mascot Battle

Bear versus Bird. Who will come out on top of this age old battle? This week Swoop will have to face off against not one, but two bears — Joe and Josie Bruin this week. While Joe may give cause for concern, Josie on the other hand might not be that hard for Swoop to handle. But if Swoop can handle both of them — which I believe he can do no trouble — this one is easy. 

Advantage Swoop.   

How to Watch 

The game is set for a 6 p.m. kickoff. It will be broadcast on Fox with Tim Brando, Spencer Tillman and Coley Harvey on the call. The game will also be broadcast over the air on the Home of the Utes ESPN 700 with Bill Riley, Scott Mitchell and Tom Hackett.

@s_mora99