No. 7 Utah Football Hits the Road to Take on Arizona

University of Utah junior quarterback Tyler Huntley (1) ran for a score after catching a pass from University of Utah sophomore wide receiver Britain Covey (18) during a trick play in an NCAA Football game vs. the University of Arizona at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, UT on Friday October 12, 2018.(Photo by Curtis Lin | Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Brayden Ramsay and Sammy Mora

The No. 7 University of Utah football team (9-1, 6-1 Pac-12) hits the road for the final time this season as they head to the desert to take on Arizona (4-6, 2-5 Pac-12) in a Pac-12 South showdown. Last year when the two teams faced off, the Utes came out on top 42-10.

Scouting the Utes

Utah is coming off an impressive win versus UCLA, where they manhandled the Bruins 49-3. In the victory, Tyler Huntley threw for 335 yards. He was 14-18 for 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Zack Moss rushed for 127 yards and 2 touchdowns on 17 touches. Devonta’e Henry-Cole rushed for 28 yards on 2 attempts and 1 touchdown. Brant Kuithe and Samson Nacua also scored touchdowns on the night. Both were for 60+ yards.

On the defensive side of the ball, Julian Blackmon led the team with 12 total tackles. Blackmon also had an interception and a forced fumble. John Penisini also forced a fumble in the game, as well as contributing 4 total tackles to the victory. Pita Tonga also had an interception in the game.

Both Blackmon and Penisini were named to conference honors after the victory. Blackmon was named the defensive player of the week, while Mika Tafua was named the defensive lineman of the week.

Jadon Redding was perfect on his PATs on the night, going 7 for 7 on the night.

Huntley for Heisman 

The University of Utah football team created a website and campaign for quarterback Tyler Huntley to be in the Heisman Trophy race. Huntley is currently among the top quarterbacks in the nation in passer efficiency with a 190.1 in pass efficiency, 75% completion percentage, 15.5 yards per completion, 89.2 in ESPN’s QBR and only 1 interception all season.

Scouting the Wildcats 

Even though they have been playing in a two quarterback system, Khalil Tate has passed the ball 132-217 for 1,687 yards. He has 12 TDs on the season and 8 INTs. Jamarye Joiner leads the team in receptions with 26 for 391 yards and 3 touchdowns.

In the rushing game, the team is led by J.J. Taylor, who has 640 yards on 128 carries. He has accounted for 5 touchdowns on the season.

On the defensive side of the ball, UA allows 480.2 yards per game. On average, they allow 315.4 yards through the air and 164.8 yards on the ground.

Mascot Matchup  

The Utes will once again be going with Swoop as their candidate in the Mascot Matchup, while Arizona will have to have two mascots to attempt to challenge the red-tailed hawk. Wilbur and Wilma Wildcat are large wildcats with bulbous heads that don’t stand a chance in this one. Swoop and his fierceness outdo both Wildcats in every aspect of the mascot matchup. Utah wins this one pretty easily.

How to Watch

The Utah Football team will take on the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson, Arizona at Arizona Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2019. The game will be televised on FS1 and radio broadcast on ESPN 700. The game will take place at 8 p.m. MST. On the TV call will be Cory Provus, Petros Papadakis and Shane Vereen while Bill Riley, Scott Mitchell and Tom Hackett will be on the radio call of the game.

@s_mora99

@brayden_ramsay