A Look at the 2020 Utah Football Signing Class

The University of Utah Football Team warms up prior to the start of the game in the Pac-12 Championship Game vs. University of Oregon at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, CA on Friday, Dec. 6, 2019.(Photo by Curtis Lin | Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Sammy Mora, Sports Editor

It’s finally here, the early signing period for college football is upon us. The University of Utah football team looks to lock in their best class since joining the Pac-12 in 2011 this week.

This story will be updated as both high school as well as transfer talent put pen to paper and lock in their spot on the Utah football team throughout the early signing period.

Wednesday’s signees:

6:59 am MT:

The first signee is in for Utah as they add graduate transfer quarterback Jake Bentley. Bentley was most recently at South Carolina where he had a record of 19-13 when behind center. He ranked third in school history in pass completions as well as passing touchdowns.

7:05 am MT: 

Tennessee Pututau is the first of several return missionaries who will be signing with the Utah football team. The East High graduate was a three star recruit who was a part of the Polynesian Bowl. In his senior season he had 18.5 sacks as well as 136 total tackles.

7:11 am MT:

Taniela Pututau is another return missionary who will be playing defensive end for the Utes. He is the second Pututau who will be signing with the Utes this season. The Cottonwood High School alumni was a three star recruit in high school and will join his brothers Pua and Hauati on the team.

7:17 am MT: 

Hunter Lotulelei is a three star Polynesian Bowl member who is returning home from an LDS mission. Lotulelei is slated to be on the offensive line for the Utes. He was the No. 8 prospect in the state of Utah when he committed in 2018. He is another hometown hero who looks to make an impact on the team.

7:21 am MT: 

Money Parks has been committed to the Utes for the longest time out of any member of this class who is not a return missionary. The Aledo, TX wide receiver committed to the Utes in November of 2018, a full year before he could sign his NLI. In his senior campaign he had 1,023 reviving yards and 17 touchdowns. He averaged 17.6 yards per catch and only had 58 receptions on the season.

7:27 am MT: 

Ben Renfro will be transitioning from wide receiver to safety when he comes to Utah. The Magnolia, TX native had a strong senior season accounting for 898 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. Renfro has the hands and speed that should make the transition to safety smooth.

7:37 am MT: 

Alex Harrison is a local product out of Viewmont High School. The offensive tackle is ranked the No. 5 prospect in the state of Utah. He is a three star recruit who is 6’4 and weighs in at 310lbs.

8:52 am MT:

Tyler Wegis adds a boost to the Utah defensive line. The three star defensive end from San Juan Hills High School in California has quite the stat sheet. In his senior season he accounted for 64 solo tackles. He had 37 tackles for loss on the season. This season he had 10.5 sacks and had another 40 QB hurries. He recovered 2 fumbles, and blocked one punt.

8:58 am MT:

Ty Jordan is the No. 8 ranked all purpose running back prospect in the nation. The West Mesquite, TX native rushed for 1236 yards on 165 attempts in 2018. He had 16 rushing touchdowns and two receiving touchdowns that year. He had 169 receiving yards on 14 catches in 2018 as well.

9:19 am MT: 

Caine Savage is a three star athlete coming from Anaheim, CA. Savage played both corner and wide receiver for Western High School and will be playing under Sharrieff Shah as a corner at Utah. This season he accounted for five interceptions and had 50 yards off the INTs.

10:06 am MT: 

Graham Faloona is a three star linebacker from Southlake, TX. In 2018 Faloona wracked up 119 total tackles. Of those tackles, two were tackles for loss and one was a sack. He also had two pass breakups and two forced fumbles.

10:24 am MT: 

Kamo’i Latu is a Polynesian Bowl participant who played safety in Honolulu. The three star recruit who had 10 tackles (1.0 TFL), two interceptions, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup in his final season. In his junior year he had four interceptions and a fumble recovery in the high school playoffs.

10:56 am MT: 

Aliki Vimahi is a return missionary who was originally recruited in the 2017 cycle. Vimahi was the No. 4 defensive end prospect in the state of Hawaii that year, he is a three star recruit.

11:35 am MT: 

Jaren Kump was the No. 9 prospect in the state of Utah in 2018. He is also coming home after serving a mission. The offensive tackle was three stars coming out of Herriman High School.

12:26 pm MT: 

Nate Ritche looks to continue the linage of strong Utah safety’s that have come through Utah. The No. 4 player in the state of Utah had 51 total tackles in his final season at Lone Peak. He also had one sack, and eight interceptions. He also played wide receiver and punter for Lone Peak.

12:40 pm MT: 

Van Fillinger is a four star defensive end out of Corner Canyon High School. The All American Bowl participant is the No. 2 prospect in the state of Utah and is also a participant in the Polynesian Bowl. This season he accounted for 88 total tackles (24.0 TFL). He also had 13.5 sacks this season.

2:19 pm MT: 

Sione Fotu is a three star linebacker from Bingham High School. He is the No. 7 prospect in the state of Utah. Fotu was selected to participate in the Polynesian Bowl. In 2018 Fotu had 16 total tackles with three sacks and one QB hurry.

3:00 pm MT: 

Connor O’Toole is the number one player in the state of New Mexico. The tight end accounted for 683 yards and eight touchdowns this season. During his junior year at La Cueva High School in Albuquerque he rushed for 211 yards and three touchdowns.

Thursday’s Signees:

8:01 am MT:

Xavier Carlton is a four star defensive end from Juan Diego Catholic High School. He is the No. 3 prospect in the state of Utah. Not only is he going to participate in the Polynesian Bowl but he was also asked to be a part of the All American Bowl.

12:11 pm MT: 

Clark Phillips III is a cornerback out of La Habra High School in California. The four star recruit is the highest graded player to ever sign with Utah. He was previously committed to Ohio State. In 2019 he had six interceptions. He is also a member of the All-American Bowl.

4:18 pm MT: 

Solatoa Moea’i is a three star defensive end from Punahou High School in Honolulu. He is the No. 5 prospect in the state of Hawaii and is a Polynesian Bowl member.

Friday’s Signee:

2:00 pm MT: 

Kenzel Lawler is a three star athlete who comes to Utah via Elenor Roosevelt High School in Corona, CA. He is slated to be playing cornerback for the Utes. During his final high school season he had two interceptions and one fumble recovery. He also had 15 total tackles when he was playing on defense this season.

The Utah football team looks to close a stellar signing class today as they hope to fill some final spots in their 2020 recruiting class. We will be updating this story as the signatures come in on Wednesday.

Wednesday February 5: 

7:25 am MT:

Joining the Utes this fall is Faybian Marks. Marks who is a three star cornerback from Richmond, TX will be joining a position group that is thin. During his senior season at George Ranch high school, Marks had two interceptions for 38 yards.

7:27  am MT: 

The Utah linebacking core will get some some more experience when Jeremy Mercier joins the team in the fall. Mercier is a three star junior college transfer from Gila Bend, AZ. Mercier will be able to play for two years at Utah.

11:13 am MT: 

Cooper Justice is a three star quarterback from Lake Oswego, OR. In his senior season he was 119-126 for 1870 yards. He had 17 touchdowns to six interceptions. He rushed for 398 yards and eight touchdowns during his final high school season.

5:02 pm MT: 

Keanu Tanuvasa comes to Utah via Mission Viejo high school in California. The three star defensive tackle was a part of the Polynesian Bowl that was in January. In his final high school season he accounted for 12 TFLs, five sacks and 40 total tackles.

5:04 pm MT:

Tanoa Togiai is a three star defensive tackle from Rigby, ID. He is the number two player from the state of Idaho. Utah beat out the likes of Washington, Nebraska and Kansas State for Togiai’s commitment.

@s_mora99