Utah Men’s Basketball’s Road Woes Continue

University of Utah freshman guard Jaxon Brenchley (5) drives to the basket during an NCAA Basketball game vs. the California Golden Bears at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. (Photo by Jalen Pace | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Brayden Ramsay, Sports Writer

The University of Utah men’s basketball team’s road game woes continued as they travelled north to take on the Oregon State Beavers and the Oregon Ducks this week. The Beavers would beat the Utes 70-51. Utah’s luck against the Ducks wouldn’t improve any as the men would fall 80-62. The Runnin’ Utes are now 1-7 on the road and 10-1 at home during the 2019-2020 season.

Utah vs. Oregon State

Utah struggled throughout the first half of the game against Oregon State, as the Beavers would go on a 24-10 run in the final 11 minutes of play. Oregon State took a 35-19 lead into halftime as the Utes posted one of their lowest scoring halves of the season. They would find more of a groove in the second half, scoring 46% of their shots.

Unfortunately for the Utes, turnovers played a major role in the game — the ball changed hands 14 times in Oregon State’s favor. Kylor Kelley’s 16-point performance decimated the Utes as three of his teammates also scored in double figures.

Branden Carlson led the way for Utah, scoring 13 points and chalking up eight rebounds. No other Utes would reach double figures, and the next high scorer was Both Gach with eight points. Carlson’s eight rebounds were matched by Timmy Allen, and Allen and Rylan Jones led the team with four assists apiece.

The Beavers topped the Utes in the matchup by a score of 70-51.

Utah vs. Oregon

The Runnin’ Utes’ shooting would improve against the Ducks as they would chalk up one of their hottest scoring road performances of the year in a 62-80 loss to No. 17 Oregon.

Oregon’s Payton Pritchard continued to be a thorn in Utah’s side as he scorched the nets with five 3-pointers in the first half, giving the Ducks an early lead.

Utah wouldn’t be deterred though as Allen’s four straight free throws caused the Ducks’ lead to dwindle to seven points. After a short Oregon run, the Utes climbed back within 12. The halftime score read 44-30 at the Matthew Knight Arena.

The second half started strong for the Utes as they were able to climb within eight points in the opening minutes. Oregon began the half one-of-five from 3-point land before they hit their stride and go on a 8-1 run bringing the score to 63-48.

Utah entered a scoring drought of eight minutes between Mikael Jantunen’s bucket and Jones’ 3-ball with 3:41 left on the clock.

The Ducks would go on to take the 18-point win.

Jones’ 18 points led the team. Allen and Carlson also found themselves in double figures. Carlson’s seven rebounds coupled with Allen’s six assists led the Utes in their respective categories.

Next Up for the Utes

Utah will be back at the Huntsman Center taking on the UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans next week. The Bruins will take the floor against the Utes first as UCLA and Utah will tip off on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 8:30 p.m. The Runnin’ Utes will seek revenge against USC on Sunday, Feb. 23. Game two of the week will tip off at 4 p.m. between the Utes and Trojans.

How to View Next Week’s Games

If you aren’t able to make it to the Huntsman Center for Utah’s matchup against the UCLA Bruins, the game will be televised on FS1. The Runnin’ Utes game against the USC Trojans will be televised on ESPNU. Both matchups will be radio broadcast on ESPN 700 by Bill Riley and Jimmy Soto. Live stats are also available on utahutes.com.

@brayden_ramsay