World Premiere of ‘A Distinct Society’ Handles Societal Issues With Grace

Shirin (Vaneh Assadourian) waits for her father (Courtesy Pioneer Theater Company)

By Audrey Hall, Arts Writer

On Jan. 27,  “A Distinct Society” made its world premier at the Pioneer Theater. The play is loosely based on real events, and takes place in the Haskell Free Library which sits on top of the border between Vermont and Montreal, creating a gray area of the border patrol’s laws. With a beautiful script, a talented cast and a powerful message, “A Distinct Society” is a love letter to families everywhere. Both those we are born with and those we find along the way. 

The Plot

In the sleepy library sitting on top of a bustling country border, five individuals from both sides  have the threads of their lives intertwined. Manon is a determined librarian who wants nothing more than to provide a safe space for families and individuals that cannot cross the border legally. She gradually falls in love with Bruce, the Border Protection Agent (BPA) who works near the library. That love is challenged however, as the border laws begin to divide the library back into the United States and Canada. When a father and his daughter want to see one another and decide on the library as a meeting place, Manon and Bruce have to choose between the law, the library and love. 

The Characters

There are only five characters seen on stage throughout the whole production. The librarian, Manon (Carrie Paff), high school student Declan (Emmet Smith), BPA Bruce (Corey Jones), Iranian doctor Peyman (Abdullah Khalil) and his daughter Shirin (Vaneh Assadourian).

Although the cast is small, every actor brought so much light and joy to their performances. Paff does an excellent job at portraying the pain Manon feels while simultaneously ensuring that she does not seem weak or susceptible to manipulation. Jones, a fantastic actor, keeps up Bruce’s charming nature throughout the show despite the rising pressure he as a character faces, never quite allowing him to slip into a stereotypical power-hungry officer. 

Oftentimes, when writing characters in their teens or in their young adult years, balance between making someone believable while also making them a developed, 3-dimensional person can be difficult. However, Smith is very skilled at portraying how Declan’s emotional trauma has forced him to grow up too quickly. Subtly, Smith hints at a lot of things that he doesn’t know yet because he just isn’t old enough to have experienced them yet. The teenager has a love for Green Lantern graphic novels and uses them as an escape. The comics are used as a theme that appears arbitrary at first, but becomes the foundation for one of the most emotional monologues I’ve heard in a long time.

The same can absolutely be said about Vaneh Assadourian, who plays Shirin. Her character is by far the most relatable to other university students, touching on food insecurity, adjusting to an adult life and being forced to assimilate her culture due to the physical and emotional distance from her roots. 

Of course, there’s Shirin’s father, Peyman who will do absolutely anything for his daughter, even if it means getting arrested just to make sure that she’s taking care of herself, and that she feels loved and supported through her difficult journey away from home. Abdullah Khalil was the perfect casting choice for this role and made me smile whenever he was onstage, even if I was crying at the same time. 

The Message (Spoilers ahead!)

Sometimes, what is right requires sacrifice. This message was amplified as each character’s arc peaked towards the end of the show. Each character had a secret to tell, but it was Manon’s that stood out to me. She reveals that during the Quebec Sovereignty Movement, she was a separatist. That detail is what solidifies the library as her own little country. A microcosm for the division and tension plaguing the world as a whole, but she was willing to give it all up to help a father and a daughter see each other one more time.

As I mentioned previously, Green Lantern is one of the consistent themes that appears throughout the production. The popular DC superhero is founded in the idea of hope and willpower. There were a few times that the references to said graphic novels were a bit cliché, but it all came to a head at the very end of the show. Declan stands at the center of the stage, snow falling onto him as he reads from the latest Green Lantern comic. The monologue was raw and emotional. It recognized the importance of being able to balance one’s emotions and desires for the greater good. I didn’t come into this show expecting to cry, but I left in tears. 

“In brightest day, there will be light 

To cleanse the soul, and set wrongs right 

When darkness comes, look to the sky 

A new dawn comes, let there be light”

@audrey_h_chrony