Utah Women’s Tennis Finds Success in October Tournaments

The Lady Utes saw decent success in their tournaments this month, competing at USC and in the ITA Regionals at home.
Mary Allen
Utah women’s tennis player Marcela Lopez competes at the ITA Regionals at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023. (Photo by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

It has been another busy few weeks for the University of Utah women’s tennis team. The team has been a part of two events this month — the Women of Troy Invite at USC from Oct. 7-9 and the ITA Regionals, held here in Utah from the Oct. 18-22.

Women of Troy Invite

In singles play of day one at the Women of Troy Invite, the Utes put on an impressive display against University of the Pacific. Yuhan Liu defeated Klara Kosan 7-5, 6-3, winning the series, while Kat Lyman lost to Tomi Main in a close series at 3-6, 6-3, 10-4. Ana Luisa Cruz defeated Indiya McLeod 6-1, 6-2. Samantha Horwood defeated Megan Carmichael 6-4, 6-2.

In doubles action, Horwood and Cruz lost to Main and Kosan 6-2, while Lyman and Liu defeated Carmichael and Alexis Sam with a grueling 6-1 set.

On day two, Liu defeated Sloane Morra of USC with a score of 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7). Cruz lost to McKenna Koenig 6-0, 6-4. Lyman defeated Isabelle Lee, 6-1, 6-3. Horwood lost to Parker Fry 6-3, 6-2.

Doubles saw some action, with Cruz and Horwood losing 6-1 to Fry and Naomi Cheong, while Lyman and Liu defeated Gabrielle Lee and Isabelle Lee 6-3.

On the last day against LMU, Liu lost to Stefania Rogozinska-Dzik in a tiebreak, 6-0, 6-7(3), 1-0(10-8). Lyman won her set against Carlota Molina 6-1, 6-2. Cruz defeated Isabella Tcherkes-Zade 7-5, 6-3. Horwood defeated Kim-Michaela Zahraj 6-1, 6-7(4), 1-0(10-5). In doubles, Cruz and Lyman lost their set 6-4, with Horwood and Liu losing their set 7-5.

ITA Regionals

In the ITA Regionals, the Utes had the opportunity to participate in plenty of games. In the main singles draw, Lyman won her first and second rounds, but lost in the third at 6-4, 4-6, 3-6. Sara Akid won her first round match 6-4, 6-4, but lost in the second round 6-2, 4-6, 3-6. Marcela Lopez had an impressive run, making it easily to the finals before losing a hard-fought match, 6-4, 4-6, 3-6. Kaila Barksdale also easily won her first round match 6-0, 6-0 and continued to breeze through with a 6-2, 6-1 match in the second and a slightly tougher 7-6(7-5), 6-3 win in the third round. Another straightforward win 6-3, 6-3 sent her to the semifinals, where she lost 1-6, 3-6. Liu would win her first round 7-6(7-5) and 6-1, but lose the second 4-6, 3-6.

In the doubles bracket, Barksdale and Liu lost in the first round, 5-8. Emma Kamper and Horwood won the first round 8-4 and lost in the second round 6-8. Lopez and Lyman won their first 8-3, second 8-2 and lost in the third round 7-8. Lastly, Akid and Cruz won their first 8-3, second 8-1 and third 8-3. In the quarterfinal, they lost a tight 6-8 match to end the Utes’ doubles run.

Overall, it was a busy and successful weekend for many of our Lady Utes. Their next venture comes on Nov. 3 as they take on the Aggie Invite at Texas A&M.

@lukeeskinner