Who’s the Best? A Streaming Service Showdown

As for an overall winner, if I had to only pick one service to use for the rest of my life, I think I would have to go with Max.
Claire Peterson
(Design by Claire Peterson | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Discussion and nuance around what streaming service is best has become tiresome to all. However, these are important questions to answer considering the future of film and television lies in the success and continued support of these various services. So, it’s important to know which ones have the best offerings, just in case you are someone who has a limited budget and no idea about what the different services offer and specialize in. I’m only going to be talking about the main ones such as Netflix, Hulu, Max and Disney+. Between which you can find 90% of anything ever recorded (except for the one thing you really wanted to watch).

Netflix

Starting with Netflix, right off the bat it has some great shows and movies. Ranging from award winners like “The Power of the Dog” and “Seinfeld” to more surprising success stories like “The Sandman.” I am currently without a Netflix subscription, much to my chagrin but I believe it is for the best as my trash TV consumption has been cut down to an all-time low. I do not waste my days away watching reality TV anymore, which is really what Netflix is used for. However, I do miss “The Ultimatum” and “Selling Sunset” more than I care to admit. I don’t think Netflix is worth it unless you prefer endless scrolling to watching something.

Hulu

Hulu has by far the best selection of comedies across all of them right now, considering their genius deal with FX. Having “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” “Atlanta” and “The Bear” all on one service makes Hulu worth it even if most of the rest of the stuff on there is just fine. It does have a horrible user interface and is the least enjoyable to navigate. But that is honestly a benefit, as you will spend significantly less time scrolling and just decide on something to quit having to search through five different menus. Hulu is easily my choice for the best service for comedies.

Max

Max has some instant draw by having most of HBO’s best shows, although it is lacking “Family Tree,” a criminally underrated masterpiece. But, having “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Succession” and “Barry” all under one umbrella is insane. Not to mention all of the amazing movies Max has, ranging from old horror movies to movies that were just released in theater to critical acclaim! For the cinephile in your life, Max is the choice (considering I’m not talking about the Criterion Channel, a necessity for anyone interested in the history and evolution of cinema).

Disney+

Disney+ is the most straightforward to discuss. It has Disney shows and movies, which at this point include way more than it did ten years ago, but there aren’t any surprises here. If you like Disney, you have Disney+ and don’t need me to tell you about it.

As for an overall winner, if I had to only pick one service to use for the rest of my life, I think I would have to go with Max. Having HBO shows is too powerful a draw that can appeal to everyone. Max has the most variety, and for that, I think it is everything you need in a streaming service.

@EthanBlume07

Ethan Blume
Ethan Blume, Arts Writer
Ethan is a senior in college majoring in English and minoring in Animation Studies. He always loved student media, even back in high school. He spends his free time reading, playing board games and hanging out with his cat, Yoda.
Claire Peterson
Claire Peterson, Designer
Claire has been a part of the design desk at the Chronicle since 2021. She’s a senior studying urban ecology with minors in geography and architecture. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts, skiing, and paddle boarding.

• J

John HedbergJan 17, 2024 at 10:02 am

Best streaming service? Go on a date~! Bury your screen and spend some time talking, listening, and laughing with people, even if you just met them today. Go dancing. Enjoy some music, live. Have some outdoor fun. Find out what color the sky is, and the mountains, all day long while you build up some cardio and strength stamina, so you’ll sleep better at night. Hug a friend! Have some people over and try out actual cooking together, and then enjoy the results while everybody tells their worst stories and their best jokes (or their best stories and their worst jokes?).
    It’s when you ditch that screen that real entertainment begins, because that’s where arts (like music or culinary or dancing) merge with people, with fun, and with playful experiments whose often questionable results you can laugh at together as friends. That’s where those friendship bonds come from, shared play, along with all the bumps and the bounces, the tears and the laughter (tears of laughter?).
    Find your friends by taking chances being friendly to all kinds of diverse characters who look interesting, and if you can’t find a friend right away, be one, and they will find you~!
    Cheerful Regards,