Gordon: Study at the U’s Asia Campus

More U students should take advantage of the Utah Asia campus.
Sam Garcia
(Design by Sam Garcia | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

In addition to the University of Utah’s main Salt Lake City campus, there is a campus located in Incheon, South Korea. The U’s Asia Campus is conveniently located in Songdo, the business district. This provides students with not only a comprehensive learning experience but is also great for future career opportunities and internships.

According to the Utah Asia Campus website, the tuition rates are similar to the SLC campus, with a variety of scholarships and the stateside tuition rate available to students.

Not only will you experience life in a different country, but you’ll also gain a deeper understanding of cultures and communication skills. More U students should attend college on the Utah Asia Campus.

Endless Opportunities 

Much like the Salt Lake campus, the Incheon campus is located right in the heart of a bustling city. 

Songdo has many large businesses and it is very convenient to students, holding the popular term “Smart City” for being efficient in technology use. Business consultant Don Southerton wrote, “Songdo’s development aimed to create an integrated 15-minute city, where people can access 90% of their daily activities by bike or public transportation in fifteen minutes or less.” 

Ava Choi, assistant director of admissions and recruitment at the U’s Asia campus said, “Songdo International City offers students a unique opportunity to experience the exciting and innovative developments of an international city while also being able to engage with the dynamic, culturally rich history of South Korea.”

The culture of South Korea is much different from the culture of Utah. Obviously, Korean is the national language. However, not to worry, as the classes at the UAC are taught in English, and in the cities there are signs posted in English right below the Korean ones.

The point is, any place that is relevant for students is easily accessible. This includes restaurants, companies and other locations. Being in a place like Songdo is perfect for networking, too. Students can connect with professionals, secure internships and job placements — all within walking and public transportation distance. 

There is also a professional baseball team that is part of the Korean Baseball Organization called the SSG Landers, who play in Incheon. They are currently ranked No. 1 with the season just barely starting. Incheon is also home to a hockey team, football team, basketball and volleyball team. 

There are other universities located at the Incheon campus, including SUNY Korea, George Mason University Korea and Ghent University Global Campus. According to the Incheon campus website, the collective is called a “shared campus of the world’s top universities.”

Perspective 

When studying internationally, students get their perspectives broadened about global issues. It’s one thing to learn about different countries, but being there and experiencing it for yourself is completely different. Utah’s Asia campus has the resources, the opportunities and the fun. As mentioned by Choi, “the coast of Incheon, South Korea is replete with a variety of dining options, shopping centers and parks.” There is no doubt that exploring outside of campus will be an enriching and rewarding experience.

The faculty make it easy to adjust from the Salt Lake City campus to the Utah Asia Campus. Just this year the campus had a record-breaking enrollment for the spring semester. And the campus’s central location and supportive faculty make the transition easy, creating a new vibrant community for students from all types of backgrounds.

They also offer a mental health week with yoga, meditation, furry animal socialization, self-care giveaway kits and more to help manage the stress of moving. 

Ultimately, studying at the U’s Asia Campus not only expands academic perspectives but also offers unforgettable experiences that will shape students’ worldviews for years to come. The fact that enrollment is only growing shows that more people are catching on to this unique experience.

@lukeg0rdon

Sam Garcia
Sam Garcia, Designer
(she/her) Sam Garcia is a junior studying Graphic Design and minoring in Computer Science. She has a bubbly and energetic personality. Loves drawing, painting, taking care of her plants, and getting shredded at the gym.

• A

alanApr 29, 2024 at 9:18 am

I went to the Asia campus and loved it. It was extremely affordable compared to slc, the teachers were so nice and such small class sizes. Nights out drinking and bar hopping is crazy cheap. Forty dollars can get you the night of your life. It was so much easier to make friends there, and so much to explore. 10/10 recommend.